John Sayers - Wild fires

Bloomington

John

I see you posting here often and notice you are from Australia. My real job is 28 years in the fire Department and I have seen much on the wild land fires down there.

Just wondering if they are near you or have affected you at all.

I know this has nothing to do with recording or studios but was just hoping all is well for you (and the brother Firefighters) there!!!

Brad - way up in Minne - so cold!!!
:)

No Bloominton - I'm further south in Victoria, mind you ther have been filight loads of volunteer firefighters from Vic going to NSW where all the fires are. As you can imagine in a situation like this huge amounts of volunteer man/woman/power are needed and they have been travelling from all over the country to relieve the NSW teams.

The extra two Helecopter Cranes have finally arrived form Seattle so we now have three of them much to the relief of all concerned. They are amazing in that they can hover over a lake or swimming pool and suck up 9000litres (around 2000gals)in something like 20 seconds and 9000litres dumped on a fire in one go is very effective.

These are probably the worst fires on record in NSW. The firemen are saying that they had crowning fires leaping across the top of the forests at 2am in the morning which is really scarey and unusual. Actually by Victorian standards they aren't too bad cos they've only lost a small number of homes whereas in the fires they had in Victoria a while back they lost a lot more homes and quite a few lives as well.

cheers
john

Glad to hear you are not close to the action.

Your comment about the air tankers scooping up water from the lakes reminds me of that happening here a few years ago.

There was a forest fire that they used the air drops at. After the fire was out in the middle of the forest they find a "SCUBA" diver. (Dead of course) They figured he was diving in a lake that one of the air tankers scooped water from and got dropped from the air onto the fire - NICE........ yuk

Anyways glad to hear all is well for you..... :)

Anyone know if the old myth is an urban legend, or true? The story of the scuba-diver found in the burnt remains of a forest-fire, presumably was scooped up in a water basket by a chopper?

Stay safe, John. May your countrymen end the blazes soon!

-Shaz

That is one urban legend that IS TRUE!!

I have read a couple of articles on it in some Fire Department trade journals and in a U.S. Park Service report. YIKES - talk about a wild ride..

Brad

The scuba diver in the tree legend id documented at the beginning of the film Magnolia along with a couple of others. In the movie though, they had the guy alive and sitting atop a tall tree.

I agree, if it is true, that was one scary ride/happening.

Kevin.

In real life he was found dead - since he was "picked up" by an air tanker (plane - not a helicopter just dipping a tank into the water) he was probably killed when he got scooped up since the planes are still at over 100 mph when they do the scoop.

I can't believe it's reall

I was told that story 1 or two years ago and I totaly believed it. The strange thing is about 1/2 hour later I realized it was april 1st. So I assumed I had been made the fool of. The guy who told me is sort of an ass so that lended it's self to the thought I had been duped.

Well I guess he is not as much of an ass as I thought.

Wow I have a hair more self respect now!!!:)

F.S.

Back