John Sayers or other Expert PLEASE HELP!!

JesusFreak

Hello....I have a question for you and any response as soon as possible would be greatly appreciated as I'm going to be buying some materials tomorrow....

My question is this: Having a budget stinks..we all know this...so I'm trying to find some work arounds...I know that you sacrifice sound isolation and other things the more that you cut corners but a minimal would probably be ok for me.

I have an attached two car garage....it is probably about 10 to 15 feet away (separated by a wood fence) from my neighbors house ( I believe it is there garage too). The dimensions are 19X19. I have read about your room within a room and it is a great plan...I just don't have the money to go all the way with it....

The interior is open studded. Stucco on the outside. Regular unfinished garage. Can I do this and still get decent sound isolation so that my neighbors aren't completely bothered.

Insulate studs. resilient channel hung. layer of sheet rock. resilient channel on top of that layer of sheet rock and then put two layers of sheet rock on top of that. So basically I would have three layers of sheet rock separated by two resilient channel layers.

Anyway..it may not be much of a workaround, but it is the best I could think of to keep mass and also allowing some air space between that and the exterior wall.

All of your opinions on this matter are huge and I just want to thank everyone in advance for replying to my post and helping me out.

God Bless!

You would be wasting time and money to do two instances of RC on the same wall. You would be better off caulking any cracks in the outer wall covering from the INSIDE, adding a couple layers of sheet rock GLUED to the inside of the outer wall sheathing, then RC on the studs, and ALL the sheet rock layers you talked about, fastened to the RC and floated off the bottom with spacers, then after the rock is on the RC, REMOVE the spacers and caulk everything. Don't match cracks in successive layers of sheet rock, don't use too long screws into the RC or you will "short it out" if the screws touch the studs (mark the studs and screw to the RC ANYWHERE BUT where there is a stud.)

The method you mentioned would be a triple-leaf wall, which actually gives you LESS sound blocking than a double-leaf wall. Here is a discussion thread (make a supreme effort to understand Eric DeSart if you can) regarding walls and the effect of air as a coupling medium...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/acoustics/message/5148

follow the entire thread, it should answer some of your questions... Steve

Knightfly,

I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. And also thanks for confirming that what I was doing would probably be a waste of time.

I sounds to me like it would just be better to put the resilient channel up on the studs and then put like 3 layers of sheetrock on that versus what I wanted to do just to get straight mass. I would also probably build some type of floats to put the amps on and probably a platform to put the drums on also.

If this sounds any better of an idea or stinks just as bad as the first one, please don't hesitate to intervene.....Thanks again.

God Bless!

3 layers of sheetrock is not very efficient - sound doesnt like to alter mediums so if you put a layer of fibreboard sandwiched between two layers of sheetrock it will be much more efficient.

i.e.
5/8" sheetrock -- 1/2" fibreboard -- 1/2" sheetrock.

cheers
JOhn

John,

Thank you SO much for responding to my thread. What you are saying makes a ton of sense. But that leads to one more question. How should I attach the fiber board and the outer layer of drywall to the other sheet of drywall?? I've heard that if a screw goes into the stud then you are pretty much defeating the purpose of what you are doing so is there a specific way to adhere the outer sheets or just screw them together??

Thanks again John, I REALLY appreciate it.

God Bless!

Keep track of where your channels and studs are located, by marking adjacent panels, floor, and cieling. With each additional layer, get successively longer screws (e.g., 1-5/8 for the second layer) and screw them to the channel underneath the preceding layer(s). As long as you are only hitting the channel and not the studs, you'll be ok.

Alex

Alex,

Thanks a ton for responding. That's great advice and will do. My only problem is that I seem to get so far ahead of myself that I forget to do the small things that make a huge difference later...I just need to slow down for this to get it right.

Thanks again I do appreciate it.

God Bless!

jesus freak, as i am am not a pro at this(but am also in the process of building a project studio)i can only say this:take yer time.good luck.
sheppard

Sheppard,

I hope that the process of building your studio is going well for you. I just starting framing the wall in front of my garage door yesturday. If you happen to think of any of those "oh yeah, don't forget to" things, please don't hesitate to let me know....I want to avoid as many "wishing I had done this or that" things as possible. Thanks again and I wish you well on your studio. Let me know how it goes.

God Bless!

I forgot to mention putting rockwool or at least fiberglas insulation before the inner covering. Other than that, I agree with all the above suggestions... Steve

Back