JoeMeek Twin Qcs

Mark H.

[1/16/02: In case you haven't read the "vocal mic" thread, Gidge mentioned that the Guitar Center stores (not online) are closing out the JoeMeek VC3 for $99.]

The thread mentioned above included praise for some tracks created with the $600 JoeMeek VC1Qcs, a single-channel, all-in-one mic preamp, compressor and voice processor.

For about $185 more, JoeMeek now offers the Twin Qcs, a two-channel version (prices from macmidimusic.com).

Questions: has anyone used the Twin? Is it really like getting two VC1Qcs's for $185 more? What do the two sides share (power supply, case, processors)? How does it compare sonically with the VC1Qcs?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

Best wishes,

Mark H.

I haven't heard it, but my understanding is it has the same mic pre amp, same optical compressor, and same eq as the VC1Qs--only it has two of each. So it is like getting two channels of the VC1Qs. The only thing it doesn't have is the enhancer/desser, which is the least usable feature on the VC1Q anyway, IMO.

I only paid $499 for my VC1Q (after an hour of haggling at GC), but if I had the xtra $300 I would have bought a Twin.

I also like the idea of the 24/96 digital card, but I'm waiting for the price to drop--if it ever will.

Good deal at GC...tried calling the local shop here and they told me they didn't carry it...another local store says its a special order. Finallt ordered mine from FullCompass for $521 (US), of course this is without the digital card. I saw that on E-bay for around a buck-fifty. But I don't trust half the %^*& on there! Tdukeex have you been using yours, on what, and what do think of it?

...UPS will be here tomorrow morning with my unit..looking forward to putting it in the chain!!!

lavoz

Lavoz, I bought mine mainly for a voice channel. I'm a songwriter doing my own demos. Problem is, I can't sing, so I have to hire singers to come in when I have my other tracks ready. Unfortunately, (or fortunately) I recently received some professional feedback on the first two songs I was ready to use it on. I seems I have some rewriting to do. And the female vocalist I was going to use on one of the songs has a fantastic voice. So I'm bummed that I haven't had a chance to try it out on a great vocalist, but on the bright side I saved myself $70 by not hiring her to sing something that I'm going to rewrite.

So far the only thing I've recorded is my own sctatchy voice, acoustic guitar direct, and an acoustic guitar miked, and my cat.

With the compressor out of the chain, it has a present, clean, quality that is complimentary to acoustic guitars (and I believe will be to other acoustic instruments). And, from what I've heard from numerous recordings, it excells on vocals of both genders.

With the compressor and mucical eq, this thing offers a lot of colors. I don't know that there's anything you can't do with it.

I've really only just begun to explore it.

Tdukex,

Thanks for the info...and best of luck on your recordings! I'm a radio/TV guy and the only thing I'll use it for is voice. Since i've joined this forum, I've read plenty of good things about the VC1Q, and a few, not so good. What that said, I looked at its stats and compared it to others and came to the conclusion to purchase the unit. Needless to say, it will be replacing the mic pre in my Behringer board. While not the best pre, it certainly is not the worst. Although many may argue differently. For the last serveral months I have reinvested in my home studio and I believe the VC1Q will be a good investment.

Regards,

lavoz

doesnt the twinqs also add current sensing technology to match the impedance of your mic for the best sound?

That sounds like a great idea, and I heard it works

Back