JoeMeek compression users... help me out.

Chris Shaeffer

Peavey ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a Meek 3Q that I pretty much bought to have a different flavor of pre (even if it wasn't a fantastic flavor) and to see what meek compression is all about.

So far I only like it if I can't hear it at all. I said in another thread that it goes from "is it on?" to "TURN IT OFF!!" really quickly and it got me thinking that I might just have not really played with it enough to understand it.

So I patched it into the lead vocal track on a little mix I have going on to give it some tweak time.

Uh... yeah. I have to go *really* light with it or it sounds really harsh on vocals- is that just how this compressor is with vocals? The compression control doesn't seem linear at all.

Then I patched it into the "lead" guitar track. Now I've never liked this track as its just a scratch track, the Les Paul wasn't here so I played it with my acoustic run through a SansAmp. Lovely, I know- but the Meek brought it right to life in a funky, cool, odd way and I loved it. I almost like the track now. Cool! Like "Wow- I had no idea that track could ever sound good" kind of cool.

So how do YOU use Meek compression? More than any unit I've ever had, it seems like a "Well, try it and see" kind of box. What have you tried it on and how'd it work?

Thanks,
Chris

i got a joemeek VC8 fathead, actually a guitar preamp,
its very versatile, its got line in, instrument in, mic in (phantom), inserts, three outputs

i mainly use it to record guitars, sometimes bass, and i used it ALOT for vocals, i do like the sound of the compressor , it lacks controls since its only got presets and "comp" buttons,
i just don't really like the EQ,
one day i'll sell this unit but right now its useful to me,
last weekend i used it to record hihats, was nice

just don't forget: its only a low budget thingy, it just can't make a huge world of difference if you get yourself a cheap joemeek... i hear a 'big' difference between this channel strip and my other gear, the reason why i still got it is only cause its got that weird special sound that only sounds OK in (rare) or special occasions

I got a 3Q and as far as the compression goes on the unit it's either way too much or way too little. I haven't been able to find a somewhere in the middle with that compressor.

The instruction book suggest using the fastest possible attack for a "transparent" effect. Allen Hyatt suggest slow to slowest attack for a usable effect for vocals. After much experimentation, I found that you want to watch the gain reduction meter and make sure it never comes on (in other words -- don't use the compressor!) I suppose if you gotta use it -- I found the manuals advise to be the best --Fast Attack.

Thanks for the input, guys.

I played with it some more and i'm getting more familiar with it. I can get decent vocal compression out of it if I set the comp control up around 5 or 6 with the attack also way up around 50ms- the input gain is used as a kind of threshold control. Got a slightly different but still useable sound with the comp at about 3 and the attack all the way down. If I set the comp control so that it doesn't reduce the gain by more than 4dB then the compression is fairly transparent. If the input signal suddenly jumps, though, the compressor jumps on it and does something weird to the attack. I don't like that sound on vocals. Thanks for the tips, Minker.

I'm happy I took some time to focus on it- it works. The controls don't work the same way as with other comps, but once I started getting the hang of it and stopped expecting the controls to work a particular way (and *listening*) I found it useable. And that funky attack characteristic was perfect for polishing that turd of a guitar track. (shrug) At some point I'll see what it does to drums.

Take care,
Chris

Chris Shaeffer said:
I have a Meek 3Q that I pretty much bought to have a different flavor of pre (even if it wasn't a fantastic flavor) and to see what meek compression is all about.

So far I only like it if I can't hear it at all. I said in another thread that it goes from "is it on?" to "TURN IT OFF!!" really quickly and it got me thinking that I might just have not really played with it enough to understand it.

So I patched it into the lead vocal track on a little mix I have going on to give it some tweak time.

Uh... yeah. I have to go *really* light with it or it sounds really harsh on vocals- is that just how this compressor is with vocals? The compression control doesn't seem linear at all.

Then I patched it into the "lead" guitar track. Now I've never liked this track as its just a scratch track, the Les Paul wasn't here so I played it with my acoustic run through a SansAmp. Lovely, I know- but the Meek brought it right to life in a funky, cool, odd way and I loved it. I almost like the track now. Cool! Like "Wow- I had no idea that track could ever sound good" kind of cool.

So how do YOU use Meek compression? More than any unit I've ever had, it seems like a "Well, try it and see" kind of box. What have you tried it on and how'd it work?

Thanks,
Chris

I have a Three Q and it's not something I reach for. It sounds harsh and midrangy. A much nicer electric guitar and vox sound can be found with a Pro VLA comp.

I can't speak to the 3Q, but I like my VC6q. I believe it's got the same compressor. The thing about Meeks is don't expect transparent anything, including compression. The EQs add all kinds of hi's and boomin lows, and the compressor squashes the shit out of things.

So for a transparent vocal sound, forget it. When I use it on vocals, I generally just barely let the first gain reduction LED light up, otherwise, as you said, it sounds weird and squished. I think I've found that even when the lights don't light up, if the Meek compressor is switched in line, it's compressing. So you it's possible to get some subtle effect, you just can't watch the LEDs. Just listen. The Meek units are an effect. They work best when you really want something to sound different, but not for subtle, gentle compression. They seem to be a love it or hate it proposition.

Back