Joe Meeks kick drum sounds

Jillchaw

Does anyone know how to get Joe Meeks kick sounds? I read that he used a reslo on the bass drum, and that it was a special kind of reslo, but i think that it was a little more than just that. Both Joe Meeks snare and bass drum sounds are very different sounding than any others from his era. And its pretty hard to get similar sounds i think. So if anyone knows anything id appreciate the info.

They say he tossed a blanket over the bass drum but honestly that doesnt really make the sound much more like his sound. Close micing doesnt nail it either. Its something special. It sounds like beating a suitcase with a mic in it or something.

inevitable reply

Hey man!! WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE!?!? You cant get a kick drum sound like Joe Meeks unless you go back in time and use his exact same room and his exact same equipment on the exact same days he was recording!! So just give up and make all your drum sounds just like Creed and Britney Spears. Everyone who knows knows that the air back then was what shaped drum tones!! GIVE IT UP AND SOUND LIKE CREED DUDE!

Jillchaw said:
Does anyone know how to get Joe Meeks kick sounds? I read that he used a reslo on the bass drum, and that it was a special kind of reslo, but i think that it was a little more than just that. Both Joe Meeks snare and bass drum sounds are very different sounding than any others from his era. And its pretty hard to get similar sounds i think. So if anyone knows anything id appreciate the info.

They say he tossed a blanket over the bass drum but honestly that doesnt really make the sound much more like his sound. Close micing doesnt nail it either. Its something special. It sounds like beating a suitcase with a mic in it or something.

ha......guys here are great!!......seriously, I posted some info on Meek here some time ago......check my 'previous posts' if you want links!!
Cheers....
ps....truly....you're going to find simulating this sound difficult!

From everything I've ever heard Joe was way guarded as to how he got his sounds. Apparently he was a complete whacko. Didn't he kill his neighbor then himself?

Back