Joe Meek vs DMP3

velvetcrush

Ok...I'm down to two...the dmp3 or the ThreeQ. I've heard great things about both. Which has a more professional sound - radio quality? I like the fact that the Q has a compressor and eq, but have heard they are only so so. Also...do either of these hiss ??

The DMP3 definitely doesn't hiss. It's very quiet. If you want something really clean, check out the DMP3. It would leave you with some options, like using saturation or tube sim plugins. I haven't used the 3Q.

A DMP3 and a RNC is hard to beat for clean, transparent sound. Sure, it can be beat with thousands of dollars, but we're talking sub-500!

I love my DMP3!

I have the dmp3 and a VC3Q (older meek 1/2U). I use the dmp3 most of the time - guitars and vocals. I sometimes also run through the meek compressor. I mainly use the meek for bass guitar.

Thanks,
mcmd

I owned and used both extensively. If you want color and option go with the 3Q, it's an amazing pre for the price. If you want clean and precise with 2 channels cheap then you can't possibly beat the dmp3. It really depends on what you're looking for, and neither pre will get in your way of making a radio quality mix.

Thanks guys...from what you're saying, i'll probably end up with the dmp3. I'm going for a cleaner sound...I'll fatten it up with plug-ins (waves platinum). I said I wanted that bono/michael hutchence sound...oddly enough, i read an interview with their producer saying they both record with a Shure beta 58 (weird!!)...although...to be fair, they both had a manley vox box for a pre.

velvetcrush said:
Thanks guys...from what you're saying, i'll probably end up with the dmp3. I'm going for a cleaner sound...I'll fatten it up with plug-ins (waves platinum). I said I wanted that bono/michael hutchence sound...oddly enough, i read an interview with their producer saying they both record with a Shure beta 58 (weird!!)...although...to be fair, they both had a manley vox box for a pre.

How much those Waves plugs set you back?

omtayslick said:
Mr. Funk,
Have you heard both units with your own ears?

Sorry, I haven't heard both units side by side but I was looking to by the DMP3 and everywhere I asked about it I was told that the pres in my Soundcraft M8 were better than the DMP3 and the Rane was a step up from my Soundcraft. The Rane is meant to be even cleaner than the DMP3.

dickiefunk said:
Sorry, I haven't heard both units side by side but I was looking to by the DMP3 and everywhere I asked about it I was told that the pres in my Soundcraft M8 were better than the DMP3 and the Rane was a step up from my Soundcraft. The Rane is meant to be even cleaner than the DMP3.

So do you believe everything you're told?

I'm just guessing, but if you can't get a good clean with that Soundcraft, I doubt the Rane or DMP3 will save the day.
Maybe its your mic as someone said earlier.

I remember when I was unaware of pre's I kept changing mics and wasn't getting what I wanted...someone mentioned pre-amps and I tried the DMP3, and it was eye opening...but adding the RNC to it was a noticeable "smooth sound" I really liked.

so i traded them off, because I am a gear addict.

Back