Joe Meek 6Q - The Brit Channel - Review

CCS

This is a 1RU channel strip with a lot of features. The digital interface really kicks this unit over the top, along with the sample frequency. Everything embodied in this strip I tested so far is musical, starting with the preamp section. The instr jack, phantom pwr, 20db pad, line, and high pass filter switches are all easily accessible on the front panel. What really makes this unit soar from a sonic standpoint is the "iron" function which engages the coupled input transformer for a rather impressive, warm and full bodied sound. With the iron function out, the unit is clean and exhibits an airy sonic quality, reminisent of the Grace 101 and Focusrite Green.

Although the 6Q uses one Burr-Brown INA217 (similar to the Three Q), it is cleaner and sounds much more focused. My only explanation is the better Japanese Soshin caps and JRC 5014s. The pre section is like having two high end pres in one unit, which is an attractive quality to say the least. The pre in both modes is quiet. I also prefer the 8 led bargraph, instead of the cheasy VU meters many boxes get today. One reason is that you can zero in on the levels, even when working from a distance.

It's no mystery that the hhe compressor is aggressive and colored, but yet it sounds quite musical with the slope dialed in at 2:1. Above the 3:1 ratio it starts to really pump. Is definately useable for a variety of guitar and bass applications, especially with a lighter ratio dialed in. I'd be a little weary of using it on vocals, however, unless it required that particular effect.

The next surprise is the EQ (Meequalizer) section. The low freq can easily be dialed in from 40Hz to 650Hz, and cut or boosted, as can the midrange from the 300Hz to 5k range. The Hi freq is fixed in either the 6k mode (switch in) or 12k mode (switch out) and can be cut or boosted from -15 to +15 db. Despite there being no Q adjustments, the EQs are very musical, especially the LF and HF, with 6k switch engaged. It's reminds me of the old Trident B series EQs, but with some edge to it.

The unit uses an detachable AC chord (no wallwart) and the tranny is housed in the unit (on the left pre side). The pwr tranny (right side) was loose from shipping and I had to tighten it. A lock nut might be the way to go, to avoid this from happening during shipping. My only critisism is that the top cover directly over the tranny has no slots for ventilation. Nor are there any vents on the side. My other major critisism is that none of the 1/4" jacks are fastened to the back chassis. The only thing holding them in place is the solder joints on the PCB. Each jack has a treaded part that was designed to feed through the holes in the chassis and receive a fasterner. But without the fasteners, each jack has play in it, as you plug in and out. Wake up JM, there's no excuse for this. Likewise, the inst jack at the front panel should *definately* be fastened.

Apart from that, I think this is the *best value* in a preamp for under $500. It definately holds its own against the Eureka (which also uses a coupled tranny on the input side); the M-Audio Tampa (imo, the 6Q is much more versatile, and fuller sounding with the iron function engaged, plus it doesn't have a walwart to contend with); and the Grace 101 (but with the iron function engaged, the 6Q really starts pulling away from the competition).

I will post more comments on this box as I record with it. For now, I highly recommend it from a sonic standpoint and price point, respectively. As far as I'm concerned forget the Three Q, this is where the JM line begins. It's that good.

Back