Joe Jackson vs. Bad Religion

NotThatBright

Hello, friends.

I'm about to screw around with a couple more songs I did before my temporary recording cessation. I did all the recording and mixing with these with my Tascam DP-24; the remixing I'm about to do will be done in Reaper. Two major differences in the recordings- I recorded "Happy Loving Couples" back when I recorded my drums too hot. The drums in "My Poor Friend Me" were recorded at proper levels.

First is Joe Jackson's "Happy Loving Couples". I think this one overall sounds better than "My Poor Friend Me", but can still use some work.

https://soundcloud.com/user92696274096/happy-loving-couples/s-TimIl

This one is Bad Religion's "My Poor Friend Me". The vocals aren't very good... I tried doing it with a clean voice, and I was able to stay in tune that way, but it sounded too pussyish. So then I did it while straining my voice a bit and couldn't keep it in tune the whole time, but I still think it sounds better than with the clean voice. One thing I know I have to screw with is the snare drum sound. It sounds like shit to me... I don't know what I did wrong initially to make it sound like this. I also forced myself to use several chords that have more than three strings in them, so the guitars are a little more off-time than normal for me. I think I learned something, though, so there's that.

https://soundcloud.com/user92696274096/my-poor-friend-me/s-7J2RM

Any comments are appreciated. I can only screw with the mixes at this point, but I can always make mental notes for the future. Thanks!

UPDATE:

Here's a remix of "My Poor Friend Me". The drums are stronger and the guitars turned down a bit, but I'm not sure if it's bright enough.

https://soundcloud.com/user92696274096/mpfm2/s-2E9q0

Last edited:
I am probably of very little help. But here goes my observations after hearing both songs.

The mixes don't sound too bad at all. People I think critique mixes based on what they would like to hear.
Civilians don't give a shit, they just hear the tune. You had mentioned the vocals being an issue. That's what sticks out to me, They sound a bit strained as if forced. More practice maybe??? sing when ever you can? shower, car, while mowing the lawn? A great vocal on a song will trump a great mix any day in my book. That's what most normal folks hear.

Me, I'm a shit singer...as in really not good. I always do a demo with my voice with the phrasing and pitch I want just to give a real singer the idea and then let him/or her roll with it.

Like clint eastwood says, "A man's gotta know his limitations". You, on the other hand, do have the potential, and I feel with a bit more practice it could be good.

As far as the drums, is that all programed?? If so, I am of no help to you there at all.

Hope that all came across ok and my ramblings are of some use.

I don't know the the originals, but overall tracked and mixed pretty well - the snare in the intro seems too loud. In HLC, the vocals could come up in volume. There are a few places where the drums seem a little out of time with the guitars.
MPFM vocal is not bad, yeah a few notes are pitchy - you could tune them, or keep practicing and comp together a good final track. The drums are too far back in this one a lot of the time, think some EQ on the guitars to scoop some drum and vocal space might be the answer? (maybe not, what do I know?)

The Joe Jackson song was a good mix. Like RFR said, we like to hear things our own way and if it were my rendition I would add some room to the drums especially the snare. But its just me and my style.

The second song was good but sounded a little cluttered guitar wise. and again I think the drums need more space. Great job regardless!

I am probably of very little help. But here goes my observations after hearing both songs.

The mixes don't sound too bad at all. People I think critique mixes based on what they would like to hear.
Civilians don't give a shit, they just hear the tune. You had mentioned the vocals being an issue. That's what sticks out to me, They sound a bit strained as if forced. More practice maybe??? sing when ever you can? shower, car, while mowing the lawn? A great vocal on a song will trump a great mix any day in my book. That's what most normal folks hear.

Me, I'm a shit singer...as in really not good. I always do a demo with my voice with the phrasing and pitch I want just to give a real singer the idea and then let him/or her roll with it.

Like clint eastwood says, "A man's gotta know his limitations". You, on the other hand, do have the potential, and I feel with a bit more practice it could be good.

As far as the drums, is that all programed?? If so, I am of no help to you there at all.

Hope that all came across ok and my ramblings are of some use.

If anyone can appreciate a good rambling, it's me. Vocals aren't my strong suit, but I must admit I began finding them fun to do at some point in my home recording career. Nothing like yelling into a mic in the basement at 2am.

"A man's got to know his limitations" is an excellent Dirty Harry quote that I have used several times in my life. It is the perfect combination of sagacity and condescension. I respect your use of it here.

mjbphotos said:
I don't know the the originals, but overall tracked and mixed pretty well - the snare in the intro seems too loud. In HLC, the vocals could come up in volume. There are a few places where the drums seem a little out of time with the guitars.
MPFM vocal is not bad, yeah a few notes are pitchy - you could tune them, or keep practicing and comp together a good final track. The drums are too far back in this one a lot of the time, think some EQ on the guitars to scoop some drum and vocal space might be the answer? (maybe not, what do I know?)

I hadn't noticed anything before about the snare in HLC, but listening to it again, maybe it is just a hair loud. I can't do anything about timing at this point, I'm just screwing with the mixes.

I agree that MPFM might sound a little better with the drums up a bit. I'll give it a whirl.

Bruthish said:
The Joe Jackson song was a good mix. Like RFR said, we like to hear things our own way and if it were my rendition I would add some room to the drums especially the snare. But its just me and my style.

The second song was good but sounded a little cluttered guitar wise. and again I think the drums need more space. Great job regardless!

Thanks. I definitely want to hear how MPFM sounds with the drums more in front.

FoulPhil said:
Real cool stuff. I don't have any advice for you. I think it sounds good

If I ever take a trip back to Texas I'm going to have to take a night and hang out with you and your drunken friends that you recorded "Skulls" with.

i like both of them. never knew the originals. i guess the "more than three strings" chords worked well on MPFM. the second version is better.
you were right about the snare tho.

If I ever take a trip back to Texas I'm going to have to take a night and hang out with you and your drunken friends that you recorded "Skulls" with.

LOL if you're talking about the guys in that shitty old recording that was from a very long time ago and I moved from my home town, although still in Texas. A few of those guys passed away, a few just got out of prison. And the rest of us are all family men now. I still keep in touch with everyone I have some way to contact. I'm not over exaggerating either lol.

SoundClick artist: Foul Phil - page with MP3 music downloads

i like both of them. never knew the originals. i guess the "more than three strings" chords worked well on MPFM. the second version is better.
you were right about the snare tho.

Thanks. That's the worst snare sound I think I ever got on a song. I probably knocked the mic out of position or something.

FoulPhil said:
LOL if you're talking about the guys in that shitty old recording that was from a very long time ago and I moved from my home town, although still in Texas. A few of those guys passed away, a few just got out of prison. And the rest of us are all family men now. I still keep in touch with everyone I have some way to contact. I'm not over exaggerating either lol.

Sounds like you ran with a pretty hardcore crew. Makes me wonder if even those of you who became family men didn't still plant a few bodies on that desolate stretch between San Antonio and Corpus Christi.

Listened to "Happy Loving Couples". This sounds well-mixed to me - good levels on everything, good solid bass and drums sound. There are one or two little timing errors, but they're getting fewer these days! There was a bit of a bum note thing going on at about 1:30? Your mixing's coming on leaps and bounds. :)

I listened to the second mix of MPFM.

I loved the bass sound and the bass part. Real good playing.

The rhythm guitars sound pretty good. They're missing a little chug. But the tone is pretty good. The doubling could be a little tighter in spots. I liked the lead guitar tone.

Drums sound decent. But it's a real busy part. It's a bit on the distracting side. Kick might a tick too loud.

Vocal performances are so-so. A doubled lead vocal would sound good. Vocals are noticeably dryer than the other tracks.

Bubba said:
Listened to "Happy Loving Couples". This sounds well-mixed to me - good levels on everything, good solid bass and drums sound. There are one or two little timing errors, but they're getting fewer these days! There was a bit of a bum note thing going on at about 1:30? Your mixing's coming on leaps and bounds.

Thanks. I decided I'm not even going to fuck with this one. If anything I might lower the snare a little, but so little that it's not even worth it.

A bum note? Since you're British, that gave me pause. I'm not sure I want to know what you meant.

TripleM said:
I listened to the second mix of MPFM.

I loved the bass sound and the bass part. Real good playing.

The rhythm guitars sound pretty good. They're missing a little chug. But the tone is pretty good. The doubling could be a little tighter in spots. I liked the lead guitar tone.

Drums sound decent. But it's a real busy part. It's a bit on the distracting side. Kick might a tick too loud.

Vocal performances are so-so. A doubled lead vocal would sound good. Vocals are noticeably dryer than the other tracks.

Thanks. I was wondering how much I could fix this one with new mixing... After giving it a couple shots I'm not sure how much I can fix, given the drum recordings, in particular. I'm starting to think that my recording room (the basement, with no sort of room treatment) was so poor that drums actually sounded better when they were recorded hot. I might give it one more shot and screw with the vocals a little more, especially the background vocal, which came out way drier than I wanted it to.

dobro said:
You haven't posted any of your own stuff in a long while. How come?

If this was for me... I haven't written anything in a while. And most of the stuff that I wrote and recorded is probably "inappropriate" for here. Not everyone here has a sense of humor.

Sounds like you ran with a pretty hardcore crew. Makes me wonder if even those of you who became family men didn't still plant a few bodies on that desolate stretch between San Antonio and Corpus Christi.

For the most part everyone were/are good people, sometimes things go from just wanting to have fun and party to straight up addiction. Two of my old friends died from drug overdose. It saddens me, but also makes me thankful because I could of been right there with them had I not made the appropriate changes in my life. :thumbs up:

No, it was for Trip. But now *you've* got me curious.

I forgot to mention that they're also not very good. Not sure how that one slipped my mind.

FoulPhil said:
For the most part everyone were/are good people, sometimes things go from just wanting to have fun and party to straight up addiction. Two of my old friends died from drug overdose. It saddens me, but also makes me thankful because I could of been right there with them had I not made the appropriate changes in my life.

That is a shame. I never had guys that I really consider "friends" fuck themselves up on that shit, but I had some acquaintances that were really cool guys that I was always happy to see every now and then who really fucked their lives with it.

Just listened to "My Poor Friend Me". I think one of your originals would be better than this, fella. The sound is mixed ok, but it needs mastering. Everything is very middly. The low end is lacking in richness and depth, something that a decent eq plugin on the master buss would sort out.

Just listened to "My Poor Friend Me". I think one of your originals would be better than this, fella. The sound is mixed ok, but it needs mastering. Everything is very middly. The low end is lacking in richness and depth, something that a decent eq plugin on the master buss would sort out.

I agree with Bubba.

I wouldn't say mastering is the key though. You could probably fix the issues on the tracks themselves. The kick is punchy but it isn't fat.

By the way, your playing is pretty good here. You must have been sober this time!

Listened to HLC. Made me pull out my Joe Jackson collection I forgot I had and blow the dust of the mp3s. Really good cover of a great song.

My only suggestions would be for a little more high end on the drums. OH's, snares, HH's could use a bit of a boost in the 2k - 5k range. I don't hear the hihat at all and the rest sounds like there's a blanket on them.

But that's it. The rest is good; especially that crunchy guitar.

Back