job placement

jax

couldn't find a better place to post this question so here goes. Here in satx there is a little 5 month school that I'm seriously thinking of attending. They have an open house that is coming up so I can ask the guy when I see him, but can any one tell me, how does one go about getting a working engineering assistant's position(or lacky of rooky or runt or whatever you would call a starting engineer)? How about you dons out there? How did you first get your jobs? This school has a basic and an advanced course- which says there is an apprenticeship in the second course. Is a diploma like a go directly to cool job card?-jax

Sorry, jax. No such thing in this industry. The way most of us got in is by either living off macaroni and cheese or the generosity of co-habitants and starting our own places, or by starting as gophers and working up. It's never easy, it's never quick, and you're never secure. But it sure is damn fun.

I'm lucky enough to be one of the guys who started his own place, and even now, nine years later, I can't say that I'm making much money or that I'm sure how much my next check will be, but it's what I enjoy doing and I wouldn't trade it for anything - except maybe doing anything in the world for a couple hundred thou a year.

I have no idea what the job climate is in TX, but I would suggest calling some local studios and putting it straight to them.

"Hi, my name's Punky Brewster. I have amazing drive and huge love for recording and I'm very intelligent. I'd like to know what else I would need for you to hire me. Should I get a degree? Should I intern for someone (like you)? Should I forget about it and work a "real" job for good money and enjoy recording on the side? I'd be willing to bet that you can get some good info if you talk to the right people.

Ken Rutkowski
Outer Limit Recording Studio

Back