"Jesus" Resurrected

ksounds

O.k.

I was going to add on to my previous thread, but for whatever reason it's closed. So, for all interested parties, I had to add a new thread for the Velvet Underground song done on the 424 mkII cassette porto. Man, this song, and this cassette, has suffered some serious abuse (appropriate, considering the subject matter:D). Whole tracks have been erased, parts overdubbed numerous time, remix after remix...the works. Listen and you can hear punch in clicks left and right, etc. This song has taken a beating. Still, I think it sounds pretty good. If you haven't been following, some of the vocal harmonies have been suspect. This is my newest stab at the song (again with the puns already!) and I think it sounds better, but I would love to get your guys opinions...and honesty is important because I am learning the art of harmony here, and I'm trying to get this right (I'm talking to you Beagle).

So, in all it's cassette glory...Jesus as written by The Velvet Underground, and covered by Ksounds.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=805880&content=music

I haven't caught your earlier versions nor am I familiar with the original but this sounds great to me. It's amazing what you were able to do with a 4 track cassette and skills.

If you hadn't mentioned the 'clicks' from punch ins, I wouldn't have heard 'em.

Harmony sounds great to me. Are you just one person here? It's that good.:)

---

I had forgot to comment on the punch-ins - yes if you listen hard you can hear them, but honestly not as obvious as some famous recordings. Take a close listen to the guitar solo on REO Speedwagon's "Roll With The Changes" for an example of blatantly obvious punch-ins - and it doesn't hurt the quality of the song one bit.

AK

I had forgot to comment on the punch-ins - yes if you listen hard you can hear them, but honestly not as obvious as some famous recordings. Take a close listen to the guitar solo on REO Speedwagon's "Roll With The Changes" for an example of blatantly obvious punch-ins - and it doesn't hurt the quality of the song one bit.

AK
The clicks don't bother me. In fact, the sound of autotune is far worse to my ears than a few small analog artifacts.

I like that the song is not perfect. To be nit picky, some of the notes are still slightly "off", the vocals jump out a bit in spots, the bass might be a bit loud in this mix, there is a bit to much background noise caught to tape (I think the ac was on when tracking the vocals), etc. BUT...this song has that analog mojo to it, which is larger than the sum of it's parts:D To get deep on you, in my pursuit to make this song perfect, I've come to realize that perfection in anything is unattainable. Nowhere is this lesson better learned, for me, than in this song...man's acknowledgment to his own imperfections and shortcomings:eek:.

I haven't caught your earlier versions nor am I familiar with the original but this sounds great to me. It's amazing what you were able to do with a 4 track cassette and skills.

If you hadn't mentioned the 'clicks' from punch ins, I wouldn't have heard 'em.

Harmony sounds great to me. Are you just one person here? It's that good.:)

---
Thanks for the kind words cjacek. I appreciate it very much. Check out the original when you get a chance, it's pretty great!

Great job man! Those harmonies sound much better. The whole thing is just a very pleasant listen. I really enjoy it. Your voice has a very nice quality to it.

:)

I don't know if you already mentioned this or not, but what did you use to record the bass?

Great job man! Those harmonies sound much better. The whole thing is just a very pleasant listen. I really enjoy it. Your voice has a very nice quality to it.

:)

I don't know if you already mentioned this or not, but what did you use to record the bass?
Thanks famous. As I said before, I appreciate the encouragement you gave me to try and take this to the next level. I think it's a better recording because of it. I can still hear one or two "ehs", but overall I'm much happier with the harmonies. Thanks!

For the bass, I just used a dbx 163x compressor.

I think this sounds really good! Did you do any bouncing to get all the parts down?

-MD
Thanks maddog. There was no bouncing going on here. Track 1 is the main acoustic, track two is bass, track 3 is vocal lead and track 4 is the higher vocal with the solo acoustic guitar parts played live together.

Great job!

What effects unit do you use?

And alot of people could take a lesson on why your songs sound so good.
And for me I thinks it cause of the simplicity of it all.
Your songs are not full of a bunch of useless stuff. Everything is there that needs to be and no more.

And where has Jeff been?:confused:

Thanks Herm.

Whose Jeff? Or did I miss something?

I was thinking the same thing.

By the way Ksounds, I just scored myself a Tascam 414. I've been working with a Yamaha AW16G for years now because I had to sell my R2R setup several years ago because of a $6,000 medical bill for a kidney stone. Well, I've decided that it's time to get back to analog, regardless of the cost. So I've gotten an M-216 mixer and started saving for a R2R. In the meantime, I wanted to get immediately into analog, so I got the 414.

I used to work with cassette 4-tracks when I first started out, and I was really nostalgic for those days. However, back then, I didn't have much with which to get the most of them; my mics, processors, guitars, amps, and skills(!) were all poor. I'm really looking forward to being able to really see what it can do now that I'm a little more seasoned, as you've demonstrated with your recordings. :)

I was thinking the same thing.

By the way Ksounds, I just scored myself a Tascam 414. I've been working with a Yamaha AW16G for years now because I had to sell my R2R setup several years ago because of a $6,000 medical bill for a kidney stone. Well, I've decided that it's time to get back to analog, regardless of the cost. So I've gotten an M-216 mixer and started saving for a R2R. In the meantime, I wanted to get immediately into analog, so I got the 414.

I used to work with cassette 4-tracks when I first started out, and I was really nostalgic for those days. However, back then, I didn't have much with which to get the most of them; my mics, processors, guitars, amps, and skills(!) were all poor. I'm really looking forward to being able to really see what it can do now that I'm a little more seasoned, as you've demonstrated with your recordings. :)

Hey Beagle...why is it always the gear that goes when life throws a setback at you;)

I've owned both the 414 and the 414mkII. The 414 is a great little recorder, and it has 2 effects sends! Remember to use the dbx. Sound wise it's on par with the 424's, minus the eq refinement. Actually, soundwise, the portastudios I've worked with have all been capable of pretty excellent results.

I've been itching for a reel to reel. Never had one. Almost, but it was shipped damaged. Don't have the money for one now, unless I sell some studio stuff to help pay for it, and I'm really thinking about that. I love cassette 4 tracks, but I want to move into some new territory tape width wise...we'll see:D

Back