Jenny Jenny cover

RawDepth

Gees, I really need new monitors. It's a struggle to get my mixes to translate on these junk boxes.

Anyway, let me know where I stand. Thank you.

You don't need new monitors. You need a new singer and guitarist.

Overall, the mix really isn't that bad. Drums are nice and tight, EQ'd well. Bass has a nice punch (though it could be louder).

But the lead vocal and lead guitar performances need a lot of work. Vocalist is painfully flat during the chorus, and lacks soul throughout the song. The guitar work is mechanical and the notes are not correct, during the famous (and repetitive) opening passage. Guitar also needs some overdrive.

If this is intended as a demo to get club/bar work, do yourself a favor and re-cut the vocals and guitar from scratch -- after rehearsing for a few hours to the original record.

(Sorry to be harsh. I post mp3s on here occasionally and would much rather get honest feedback than have someone blow smoke up my ass.)

Yeah that singer is terrible.

The mix isn't too bad. The bass to me is a little boomy. I'd like it tightened up some. The rest is okay for a demo.

Agree with the boomy bass. It has that "bouncy super ball" sound to it.

Singer hit a few flat notes. Seemed like those could be fixed with a better take. Agree a bit on the "lack of soul" comment. Sounded like he had a good voice, but he really wasn't in shape. He pulls back on the "power notes" - I could tell he was having trouble.

BGV's are too far back in the mix.

Lead riff performance was a little "stilted." they rhythm guit on the left was a little stiff too.

It seemed like this was like the second or third time the band played the song. Trying to get through without making a mistake vs really punching it. I would say the drummer and keyboard player sounded pretty comfortable. the rest were "trying to make it through."

Lots of tape hiss at the beginning?

I have played this song at least 10 times. :)

The singer gets better as it goes. By the 3 min mark it's not too bad. Did he just wake up?

I second mbrusko, rehearse for a few hours to the original. We used to revisit our repertoire and be amazed how far off the originals we’d gotten.

I think the singer is being cut a bad deal here on review... i dont think its a tape worthy take... but i dont believe thats the best he can do, a lot of making the singer sound good is the engineer doing his part in making sure the best take is captured. its my guess that the time wasnt taken to get the best take.

I think the singer is being cut a bad deal here on review... i dont think its a tape worthy take... but i dont believe thats the best he can do, a lot of making the singer sound good is the engineer doing his part in making sure the best take is captured. its my guess that the time wasnt taken to get the best take.

I agree with this. He's not the best in the world, but he's obviously pretty capable. Just get him warmed up and get the best out of him.

Yeah I think the singer needs a few more takes on this. Make sure he's good and warmed up before recording. It really does make a difference. And make sure he really knows the melody cold on every single phrase.

The lead sounded a little stiff, but ... eh ... I can't remember how the original goes at this point, so I didn't have anything with which to compare it. The lead guitar wouldn't make me walk out of a club or anything, but I think he/she could do better as well.

I agree with what everything else that has been said.

I think the guitar solo could be better, it seems to be lacking in something... the bends could be tighter.

Mix wise, it sounds like you used a base of live band and overdubbed the backup vocals. Maybe because the bkups sound drier or something. Anyway, the mix is pretty good for me....

Back