Jeff Buckley Grace

EleKtriKaz

Home (w)Rec'r
Hey guys, just thought I would post a fun, "How do you get that sound..." type thread. Anyone have any ideas about what they used on this album. To me it's just one of the best sounding albums I've ever heard, especially in regards to vocals. The vocals are so crisp and clear, often go from soft to loud, but always seem to have tons of headroom. It was mixed by Andy Wallace, so I guess that helps. Anyway, might be fun to theorize what they used or how they did it.

I have no idea how he did it, but that's one of my favorite albums of all time. You should get the Live at Sin-E sessions. They're amazing.

Cool, another Arizonan. Im in Gilbert. We should get with Texroadkill and have a party. Are you a private or public, studio?

Justin

Yeah I know. Private for now. I really don't have enough gear to have clients and charge. I mostly just record myself and my friends. I would like to get to the point where I can charge and have clients. What about you?

Well, It started out as just a means for me to record my own stuff. I have enough good gear now to be dangerous. I do band demos, produce a hip hop group and do some voice over stuff. Heres my own, latest tune. Let me know if you want to hook up, you could come by my place in Gilbert.

EleKtriKaz said:
Hey guys, just thought I would post a fun, "How do you get that sound..." type thread. Anyone have any ideas about what they used on this album. To me it's just one of the best sounding albums I've ever heard, especially in regards to vocals. The vocals are so crisp and clear, often go from soft to loud, but always seem to have tons of headroom. It was mixed by Andy Wallace, so I guess that helps. Anyway, might be fun to theorize what they used or how they did it.

Take a look at the waveforms: there is indeed your headroom.

About the equipment: they used Jeff Buckley.. guess that helps too!

F_cksia said:
About the equipment: they used Jeff Buckley.. guess that helps too!

Yeah I know. His voice was one of the most amazing instruments ever.

musical5 said:
Let me know if you want to hook up, you could come by my place in Gilbert.

Yeah I'd love to. I'm in Florida until August 15th, but when I get back we'll have to get together.

One of my favorite albums too - all of his work. I like the sound of the album mostly for the performances vs. sound treatments (don't love the drum sounds, bass is hidden etc.) - but yes, the vocals are unmatched.

Anyway, if you get the live DVD there is an electronic press kit that has some video from the recording at Bearsville in Woodstock. You could see the mic's and the rooms etc.

I believe some time next year there might be another documentary with more footage from the recording sessions.

There is a Jeff Buckley photo-journal type of book called "Wished for a Song" that has a bunch of studio photos. They'd probably give you a good idea of the mics that were used. I read the "Dream Brother" book hoping for some good info on the studio sessions, but it kinda glossed over all of that, so it wasn't much help.

Andy Wallace recorded, mixed, and produced that album, and he did an incredible job. I enjoy a lot of his work; the album he mixed for The Foo Fighters was excellent, and I thought the mixing job he did on the unfinished (but incredible) "My Sweetheart the Drunk" was also very good.

If I were you, I'd try e-mailing Mr. Wallace directly. You might have some luck getting him to respond with some further info about the recording sessions with Jeff, since it seems from a search on the internet that he hasn't given many interviews about that particular album. I can only imagine that it was an amazing experience for him, working with such a talented artist.

Let us know what you find out. I'd be interested in hearing about this, too.

Good luck,
Ryan

oh, that jogs my memory - there is an andy wallace interview in tapeop magazine a few months back with some comments about the recording - though i can't recall the details

Andy Wallace is outstanding. He's mixed some of my favorite albums. It seems like everytime I'm thinking wow this is a great mix, I check the liner notes and sure enough it was Andy Wallace. I had forgotten that he produced and engineered it as well.

Back