Jeeze - just when I thought I was safe...

Kid, I just bought one of their Strat clones recently. Very nice guitar, great price. (XV-850)

Kid, I just bought one of their Strat clones recently. Very nice guitar, great price. (XV-850)

COOL! Is it the beautiful lemon yellow version? Those are really gorgeous, and I've heard that they play "like butter".

I've been thinking about buying one of their new XV-600 or XV-650 with P-90s, maple neck and Surf Green Tele body. The prices are amazing, and they've been getting really good reviews.

COOL! Is it the beautiful lemon yellow version? Those are really gorgeous, and I've heard that they play "like butter".

I've been thinking about buying one of their new XV-600 or XV-650 with P-90s, maple neck and Surf Green Tele body. The prices are amazing, and they've been getting really good reviews.

Yes, it's the "Lemon Drop" color. Very pretty, and plays really well. I have some pictures posted somewhere in this forum - do a search for "cheap korean strat clone" and you'll probably find it. Mine's a blem and I got it, to my door, for $245. :eek:

If their other models are as good, I just don't see how you could go wrong. :)

I think it's really cool that people are starting to pay attention to some of these cheaper guitars that are playable and sound good. Shoot, the XV600/650 - you can't spend more than $175 on it! Gotta love it. :)

I think it's really cool that people are starting to pay attention to some of these cheaper guitars that are playable and sound good. Shoot, the XV600/650 - you can't spend more than $175 on it! Gotta love it. :)

Oh, I love it. The quality of some of these guitars are far superior than the big boys. I just unloaded a les paul special for a Greg Bennett Avion4. The Avion is 10 times the guitar the LP Special was.

Oh, I love it. The quality of some of these guitars are far superior than the big boys. I just unloaded a les paul special for a Greg Bennett Avion4. The Avion is 10 times the guitar the LP Special was.

I wish there were guitars of this quality for this price when I started out... I guess it could've been worse though 'cause my first guitar was a single pup cherry red Trutone (Kay) that I bought new at a Western Auto store! Some of the other guys were buying those REALLY crappy $49-$59-$69 Japanese cheapos from the local variety store... the second they touched the whammy bars on those things, they NEVER got them back in tune! :D

Attachments

• WesternAuto_Kay_electric.jpg
    WesternAuto_Kay_electric.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 83
As this is a X-mas present that I'm not supposed to be messin' with, (Shhhhhh!) these are some quick initial thoughts after she (GFS/Xaviere XV-600 W/P-90's) showed up on Mon. 10/1/07. I own a Squier '5I, and a Squier Standard (not a crapy Affinity or Bullet) Fat Tele that are both stock and I thought both would make good side by side comparison but it would be interesting to see a side by side w/ a Fender Tele. Thinline (Anyone?). I compared them on a Fender Champ 600 tube combo played clean . I adjusted the saddles a bit, tuned it up, adjusted the truss, but will probably have to spend a bit more time tweaking it as some minor fret buzz showed up on the #5 and#6, but take into account this is after some very quick adjustments ('cause I was so freaking ready to hear it play!). The screws on the saddles seem a bit cheaper than those on the "51 or Fat Tele., but the saddles and bridge are solid steel. The tuners are much stiffer/harder to turn than either the '51 or the Standard Fat Tele. but they seem to stay in tune fine thus far. The "F" hole could be a tad bit cleaner but hey this is a "bargain" guitar not really an issue in this price range. A few small blackish grey smudges here and there came off easily with a soft cloth, and the body had only one minor finish flaw where it looks like a small speck of dust got caught as one of the coats was applied but luckily it is on the back. Other than that it looks sweet. :D Those are the only negative things I could find with mine. Now on to the pluses! On a whole nothing looks haphazard and it looks like it has been "well gone over" at some point.There are no sharp edges on any of the medium jumbo frets, and they and the fingerboard seem nicely done. The neck is a glossy vintage looking fast neck very similar in size and feel to the '51 and Squire Fat Tele. necks only about 1/8th wider at the nut than both. I think I may sand it a bit with some super fine paper at some point but it plays fine as is and that is more of a personal pref. The stock pots are nice and smooth and seem more responsive than is usually found in this price range. They are by far, better than the stock pots on the "51 or Fat Tele. Same can be said for the full sized ALPHA Lever-action toggle switch - you just do not get this grade of stuff in this price range. Here is where this guitar KILLS; SUSTAIN TO THE MAX! The '51 - not even close, the Squier Fat Tele. - about a third less. The P-90's I opted for are very full, warm and well balanced with a clean vintage tone. Of course it can't get as bassy as the Fat Tele. and it's not as ringy sharp as the'51. I think of it overall as a nice buttery tone. All in all I think it well worth the bones and then some. Of course I'll add photos later. Peace.

Last edited:
Back