Jecklin Disk and Acoustic (sample)

David Katauskas

So...I had nothing to do, and thinking about my 'to-do' list. Suddenly, the 'Jecklin Disk' immediately came to mind. So I whipped one up from some materials laying around (not hi-tech, but very sufficient)...this was a great little project. Took me all of 15 minutes.

Then I hooked it up to my stereo bar (which actually has 3 positions). Then, with my trusty AT4040 and MXL990 plugged into a DMP3, the ultimate testing began...but with what?

Then I thought...you know...a lot of folks say that an acoustic guitar is a mono istrument...ah...poop on them. It is a stereo instument based on the proximity of the user. So I placed the disk near the 20th fret, aimed the mics and hit record.

With a dash of compression and a sprinkle of eq, this is what happened...(btw - I'm playing this from memory from about 20 years ago so the purists out there...keep it to yourself :D )

I'm going to play with mic placement to hopefully grab more mids, but to me, it sounds like the guitar is right in front of me.

Sounds pretty nice David. What was the mic distance from the guitar? Any chance you'd post an mp3 of the raw track?

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
What was the mic distance from the guitar?
Tim
The mics were about 24 inches away, and about 12 inches higher than the top of the guitar pointing toward the center horizontal of the guitar (sound hole and 12th fret).

Brackish said:
How did you make the disc?
I bought a mic clip from Radio Shack for about $4. Took the actual clip off of the clip mount. Then inserted a 12"H x 18"L peg board square and put the clip screw through one of the holes on the pegboard. The pegboard is covered with 5/8" of insulating cloth on both sides.

Glad to see others take interest in this method. I love it.

Embroidery hoops(12 or 14") are excellent for jecklin discs..

they are easy to mount to a stand too..

BigRay said:

Embroidery hoops(12 or 14") are excellent for jecklin discs

What material do you cover the hoops with?
What about fake animal fur, such as what is
on teddy bears?

BigRay said:

Embroidery hoops(12 or 14") are excellent for jecklin discs..

they are easy to mount to a stand too..

Do you have a picture?

Thanks,
Bill

littledog said:
I think for your next project you should do a DIY dummy-head device.

I volunteer Walters if you need a head.
That's a great idea...unfortunately, I haven't heard from Walters in a while. Is he dead?

He's even duplicated one of his Harmony Central idiocies on this forum. Some post about where can he find a metronome that will quantize it's clicks! :rolleyes:

I built myself a jecklin disk a few months back, and use a pair of ECM8000's(the only OMNIs I have). Its the only stereo mic set up I have so so far I think it sounds great!

Someday I'll upgrade to some decent mics.

I would recommend this as a simple project for anyone too!

i just played the zep version of over the hills and far away. yours sounded a lot better.

there was a little fuzz you coulda taken out, but the fuzz was negligible and i know us hr's don't have the greatest gear. i have fuzz in my recordings too.

i thought the recording may have had a tad too much high highs. but what do i know, i play a martin.

Back