JBL monitors...

Ryn, those are hi-fi speakers, not designed for flat repsonse. I think you'd do better to spend another $100 and look at actual monitors by companies like M-Audio, Event, Tapco, and Alesis. Wharfedale also makes a model ($300/pair) that's popular with folks here. Do some searching in the archives here.

Your post raises another question for me, though: why do we see so few posts about JBL pro monitors here? I know they're pricey, but they're a well know company, boast an automatic bass management system, and seem well equiped, overall. I see positive reviews elsewhere but barely a nod at this forum. Anyone here have any experience with JBL pro gear? Just curious.

J.

Jbl

I came across the same thing on JBL.
I tried some pawn shop, Control 5 Pro series.
They were approx. $100 pair passive used.
They pulled the reverbs out in a way I'd never heard. The high end trashed my ears tho, personal opinion.
I sold them at GC for $100 pair. Built like a tank.

Another friend used the 44xx series for Mixing, over 15 years, passive. Excellent mixes. Again still working fine.

There's no doubt in my mind JBL has some pro stuff now and in the past.. for many, many years a good rep...impressive reliability from what I've seen & heard.

You'll notice most Monitors posts here are first pair, approx. $300-500 range on this forum."home recording"
A few higher end users....but I'd bet majority is Wharfedale/YSM1P/M-AUDIO/EVENT/KRK etc...$300-500pair; a few $1000+
I think the JBL 62xx start at $1,000, metal cabinet, good reviews.

I'd agree with Jeffree, on throwin down another $100 get some "standard" new actives in that price range.
But if you don't have the cash...a $100 could be $1,000.

My opinion:
I'd get some local and take em home listen, take em back (no cost or hassle).
I've recently had a few shipping issues and lost money, albeit only $10 or so but still a fhkng hassle and time wasted.

I've got a pair of E-80s in the same series, and they absolutely rock. But a good pair of audio speakers have a way of making a mix sound better than it actually is, which is what these JBLs will do. You need monitors to be brutally honest. Consider Events with at least 6" woofers, easy to be had found on ebay for <$300.

Harvey Gerst said:
That's one of my favorite hangouts. If you do a search for "Harvey" there, you'll find me in a lot of threads.
I'm particularly having fun seeing the new K2's and Array series rolling out, and now hints of yet more to come. Even with having some wonderful brand new SP Tech's here at home, a little of the JBL drool factor remains.. :rolleyes: :D
Wayne

Back