JBL LSR25P Connections- Need Help

Keith L

Well, Gidge and all the rest, I joined the JBL club this weekend! My question has to deal with connecting the speakers to my Korg D1600.

In the JBL manual, it states that "the XLR input is +4dbu sensitivity and the RCA input is -10dbv".

Looking at the back of the Korg, the outputs for both the Master L&R and the Monitor L&R are "-10db unbalanced".

Of course, I bought the connecting cables before I read this! I got balanced 1/4 to XLR.

I remember not long ago, on these boards, someone was complaining of background noise on his JBLs, and someone had suggested using balanced cables. That's what prompted be to buy the same. SO, I ask you all the following-

1) Should I exchange my 1/4 to XLRs for 1/4 to RCAs?
2) Are the RCA's balanced or unbalanced?
3) Does this shit REALLY make a difference, or am I just obsessing on the minutia???

The thing that prompted me to ask all these questions is that when I powered up my speakers, I was suprised that they didn't get very loud- Yes, they were loud enough to mix, but I thought they'd go a LOT louder. Then I started thinking it was a cable issue.

Thanks again for your help!

The RCAs are unbalanced (you need 3 connectors for a balanced signal)
Try connecting them with TS 1/4" to RCA unbalanced, you should be fine. I'm pretty sure that the noise problem in the other thread was because they were being run ungrounded (bad idea).

Thanks, Vox- Actually, I decided not to sweat it and used the balanced connections. I remixed on the JBLs (vs. headphones), and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! These speakers worked great- the mix sounds better than I could have asked for. Thanks again to all those who helped in my monitor selection...

So are you saying that you just plugged the balanced 1/4" TRS into the unbalanced output sockets?
Check the back of the manual, it has wiring diagrams for the different combinations, I also think that you will get more volume if you connect your -10 signal to the -10 RCA input.

Good luck.

P.S - Congrats on the new monitors :D

Yea, vox, I guess that's what I'm saying. I just wasn't in the mood to schlep it all the way to Baltimore for the "correct" cables, so I said F*** IT , and used the balanced ones i had. As it turned out, they worked just fine. I brought all the levels up in the mix (without clipping, of course) and that really improved the overall volume of the mix.

As long as I'm not doing any damage to my equipment (am I???), I'll let it go for now. I'm sure I'll get the correct cables someday. Thanks again for all your help!

Back