Jazzmaster value - need help

_DK

Hi!
How much a 1965 re-painted Jazzmaster would sell for? With a case :)
Thanks

Last edited:
Try:
www.gruhn.com
www.mandoweb.com
www.southworthguitars.com

That will give you some idea. The refin cuts the value significantly.

Other factors are how good a paint job it is, the overall condition and the other parts originality. How well it plays and sounds for a refin is probably the most important. No serious collector is going to want it.

Do you think it would go for at least $3000 on ebay, considering the refin is superb and everything's original, no nicks or dings...?

According to my Vintage Guitar Price Guide (which is not always accurate) a
1965 Jazzmaster range from $3,700 to $5,500. I don't know what re-painting and re-fretting does to the price.

According to my Vintage Guitar Price Guide (which is not always accurate) a
1965 Jazzmaster range from $3,700 to $5,500. I don't know what re-painting and re-fretting does to the price.

A refinish typically cuts the value in half, at least. If the book is saying $3,700-5,500, I would expect a refin to bring at most about $2,000; probably more like $1,500. Certainly nowhere near $3,000.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I wish I could find a repainted one for $1500 or less... any idea where? I don't care if it's from '65 or '66, you know :)

A refinish typically cuts the value in half, at least. If the book is saying $3,700-5,500, I would expect a refin to bring at most about $2,000; probably more like $1,500. Certainly nowhere near $3,000.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Just out of interest. Would you say a guitar of that age with a lot of dings in it would be worth more than if it had a refin? i was always under the assuption that it would be worth more with the original finish, dinged or not, or does it depend on the level of dinging?

as far as i know, and i'm no expert, that no matter the condition of the finish, it is still worth more no matter what.

Just out of interest. Would you say a guitar of that age with a lot of dings in it would be worth more than if it had a refin?

Without question, without exception, and without a doubt. The original finish, no matter the condition, is ALWAYS worth more than a refin.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Oh, and please note I did not say that made any sense, just that it is the way it is.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Back