Jazzmaster Pickups on a Mustang?

_DK

I'm thinking of putting Jazzmaster pickups on my Mustang and I've got some questions. If the pickup size problem is put aside (I guess that making a bigger hole in the pick-guard isn't hard), is there anything else I should think of? I'm concerned with: the pickup distance (are they gonna be far enough?), would there be any buzz coming from the pickups? (Antiquity I) would it work at all electronically?
Any suggestions other than buying a Jazzmaster are very welcome :)

why would anyone wanna do this to a mustang?

i don't think you'll have issues with the distance between the PUs or anything.

make sure to put in a pair of 1Mohm pots tho as they are a vital factor in the jazzmasters sound. (A1Mohm for tone and B1Mohm for Volume.)

when you said that you have no problem doing some routing to your pickguard i got the impression that you're not aware of the fact that you'll have to do some major routing to the body as well.

Thanks!
Yes, I am aware of routing the body as well.
Why am I doing that? Many people put Jazzmaster PUs in their Jaguars. Why? 'Cause they're worth $5000 I would think :)

At one time I had a '66 Jazzmaster and a '64 Duo-Sonic and while both were interesting in their own right, especially for recording, putting Jazzmaster pu's in the Duo-Sonic would have made no sense. Personally I thought the stock pickups in my Jazzmaster were awful and so did everyone else at the time and I had them rewired to taste with much thinner wire and the improvement was amazing. I suggest you consider the same with your Mustang.

I've thought about that, but I still want the JM sound... or something close to that. Seymour Duncan or Novak JM PUs would be better than new stock.

Go for it man!!! Used to have a duo-sonic frankenstein w/ p90s in it. It sounded killer whenever it felt like staying in tune. Traded it for a bag of weed in college. a BIG bag of weed! :)

Back