Jazz single coils

patlang12

I know, I know not many people use single coils for jazz, but I want to. I am building a custom warmoth strat. I am getting a hollow strat. I am trying to decide what pickups to put in it. The two that I am looking at right now are the fender vintage noiseless and the hot noiseless. Anybody know which of these would be better for jazz? Do you have suggestions for other pickups to look at? I will probably will use this guitar for blues and other stuff too, but my primary goal is to build a nice guitar for jazz. Thanks a lot!

I am also going to put some kind of preamp in it...

patlang12 said:
I know, I know not many people use single coils for jazz, but I want to. I am building a custom warmoth strat. I am getting a hollow strat. I am trying to decide what pickups to put in it. The two that I am looking at right now are the fender vintage noiseless and the hot noiseless. Anybody know which of these would be better for jazz? Do you have suggestions for other pickups to look at? I will probably will use this guitar for blues and other stuff too, but my primary goal is to build a nice guitar for jazz. Thanks a lot!

I am also going to put some kind of preamp in it...

The P90 and P100 pickups are in some jazz guitars I think. They look like humbuckers cause they are bigger than normal single coils, but they are only single coil. Anyways, Fender used some soapbar pickups in the JazzMaster. Maybe they will fit? Or maybe they even offer them.

I'd go with something form Bartolini, myself.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

The guitar is drilled for a standard strat setup. I will check out the Bartolinis. Any suggestions on which model?

Also is there somewhere besides the Bartolini website to buy them. They look like they may be what I am looking for, but I don't know if I can afford 90$ a pickup when I have to buy threee of them. Thanks again!

You probably CAN'T get them through thier website. But no, you are unlikely to find them anywhere for less, because they are a very small custom manufacturer. The've only got one distributer in the US, which keeps the prices pretty consistant.

The best place to find them is likely to be a local dealer.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Light said:
You probably CAN'T get them through thier website. But no, you are unlikely to find them anywhere for less, because they are a very small custom manufacturer. The've only got one distributer in the US, which keeps the prices pretty consistant.

The best place to find them is likely to be a local dealer.

Light

M.K. Gandhi
ok thanks, do you have any experience with these pickups? Which ones would you suggest?

patlang12 said:
ok thanks, do you have any experience with these pickups? Which ones would you suggest?

Not so much with the single coil sized pickups, but their Jazz Guitar floating pickups and their bass pickups are really great. The thing with Bartolini pickups is that they are fairly low impedance, and they have (partially because of that low impedance) a REALLY flat frequency responce. One of the other things is that, due to their manufacturing methods, their pickups are going to sound similar reguardless of the size of the pickup. Bassically, the things that I think make their pickups great for bass are exactly why I think they are great for jazz guitar sounds. Judgeing from their site discriptions (which I would trust, with them) I would probably say the 3X would be the way to go.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Back