Jammin' out

gawkman

Okay, I've been playing for a couple of years now, and I'm finally at that point when I can play just about everything, so I'm ready to take on rhythm guitar in a band. Problem: I can play, but I have trouble movin' to my music! When I start to move too much, I start playing sloppy, and you know how boring it is to watch a guitarist on stage just standing there doing nothing while the singer is yelling his guts out.
So what's the secret? I've seen one guy in a local band headbanging his head off while playing crazy solos and never missing a note. Do you just have to play so long and be so good that you could play "Master Of Puppets" hanging upside down in a tree while someone is tickling your armpits?

Jumping around or swaying while you play is no big deal. So what if you can't do that?
Is that gonna prevent you from becoming a rock star?... or did you learn how to play just to impress chicks?
Look, Eric Clapton never danced, swayed, or jumped around the stage... but, it didn't seem to hurt HIS career.
"Banging your head off" while never missing a note is someone elses style (or should I say "gimmick"?)... Develop your own style or trademark.
One thing that made me want to play guitar was seeing Clapton play Layla with Derek & the Dominoes (live) with his trademark cigarette perched on the headstock of his Strat. His eyes were closed and his head was tilted back and slowly going from side to side. Nothing spectacular... but he just looked so damned cool, and I decided right then and there that I wanted to play guitar.
Find "your own" moves and make it YOUR trademark style. Even if it's something simple. People remember you better when you are original.

If you think its not cool to just stand there in play, I remeber this guy in a band named Guns n Roses named Slash......

Those are both good points to ponder, but here's a simple observation I made; when the band gets into it, the croud gets into it... sometimes even when what the band is playing sucks. I was singer for sometime, and I always got totally into the music (I jammed on stage like I would if I was in the croud listening to my favorite band). Now I'm going to be confined to a guitar (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I just GOTTA MOVE!!!!!).

Then all you can do is to just keep practicing at jumping around while you're playing.
There's no magic advice to help you here...
it's all on you.
Keep at it as much as posible until you get the results you want. What else can we say?
Only YOU know your capabilities and limitations.

Hey man, well i know what u mean about jumping around and having a good time while layin down the solos and stuff.. u just have to keep practicing those songs your playing.. after a while, you'll be able to sleep, breath, and eat your songs ur playing, and ull be able to bang to em also.. i had a similar problem, but after consistant practice for about a year, every week i can go as mad as i please on stage and be a real freako. heh just practice.

Nick http://executionstyle.cjb.net

I've been playing for 15-16 years now. When I was in high school, myself and all my other axe-grinding friends could only play sitting down. As you get better, at least half your practising should be done standing up(infront of a mirror also helps) and eventually, you'll be able to play much better standing up. Infact, for jamming, not practising, you'll find that the freedom in not being glued to a chair and the ability to move around will allow you to play much better. Also, the biggest mistake that people make is playing with their guitar way too low on the strap. Too many axe players I see live really suck because they can't reach notes on their axe and they have no control with the instrument because their guitar is down around their knees. It's always way better to play great than look cool and suck musically. Any great axe players that I've seen live, up close and personal, all have one thing in common. Their guitars are just an extension of their body rather than a hunk of wood that they wear. When I saw Stevie Ray Vaughn at The El Mocambo in Toronto a week after Texas Flood was released, his guitar was like another appendage, an extension of his body. It moved with him rather than him having to make it move. The guitar was in perfect rhythm, sync and harmony with his body because it WAS part of his body. The only other person I've seen live, up close and personal who really actually "dances" with their guitar is Jimmy Page. He breaks all the rules though as his guitar is slung low down around his knees, but since everyones' body proportions are different, he is the exception rather than the rule. Jimmy was once described as "a T.V. antenna with legs" for a picture of him holding up his doubleneck guitar. That's because his instrument flows with his movements. When I played my first band gig about three years ago(also at The El Mocambo), I was totally amazed and surprised how loose and comfy I was playing, way more loose than I am in general when I talk to people in the office etc. Finally, you must be rehearsed and know the songs inside out because anyone who gets lost during a song or doesn't know which scale(s) they're playing from during a solo will be as stiff as a board. Sorry for "Rambling On" but this is a very personal topic. Roy Buchanan was definately the greatest guitar player I've seen live(sorry, but also at the El Mocambo)who didn't move around at all. Instead, he made faces and grimaced as he palyed his guitar. His guitar was always very high on his body with the bottom around belt buckle height. He just didn't have to move to express himself as did
the other players that I mentioned.
The bottomline is, don't move around if you have to plan it out or force youself, you'll look really unnatural. Let your fingers do the talking and you'll be just fine.

Relax and try to feel the groove through your entire body not just your hands.

One way I read about you can try is to carry a metronome with you. Even if you are washing the dishes or reading a book just put the metronome on and try to feel the pulse through your entire body and try to groove to it (sounds kinda dumb I know). It doens't take that long and it will become second nature.

It is important to get the groove thing sorted as it is the most important aspect of playing music IMHO. Two chords with groove is much more pleasing to listen to than someone playing with huge technical knowledge and no groove.

spong

One of the greatest concerts I've ever seen (now I'm gonna date myself a little here) was Pink Floyd in the Agrodome in Vancouver (it's a small crappy venue that holds maybe 5,000 and as the name implies is mainly used for horse and chicken judging shows...). They all stood there like dead men, and the fanciest lighting was a flashing police car light somewhere inside the drum kit. We just sat and listened...and I still remember what a perfect night it was.

All I'm saying is, go with your own style and you can't go wrong. I gag at most choreographed stage stuff, so much of it is just posing. Also, look at some retro videos and you'll see each musical era has its own characteristic moves. Metal, grunge, hiphop, rap, 80's kaka, disco...in the end it's the music music for me.

Hey man,
I know what you're talking about. When I played in my last band, I played rhythm guitar, and like you at first just stood there, motionless. My basic rule of thumb is this: forget about it. Forget about "moving" around. Forget about hitting perfect notes. Forget about looking "perfect". All you need to think about on stage is having fun. In turn, that energy will transfer to your body, and further onto the crowd. One of the most important things for a live band to have is energy. Even above perfect songs, note for note, you should have energy as a band. A crowd will forgive mistakes here and there if you are excited about your music, but if you only care about hitting the right notes, and the audience knows that, it leaves them nothing to judge BUT your "perfect notes". Energy, energy, energy. Gotta have it. Do it, I swear it'll make a huge difference. Just let go and let the music take hold of you, it'll all come out in the end. Best of luck...

***Justin***

At least you're not a drummer! :)Imagine tryin' to be smooth and cool wailin' your arms around beatin' on the skins ahvin to sit around all day during the concert. :)

(Relax drummers, I was 1 myself!)

Hey man Moving is overated, realy Move with the guitar man watch carlos santana play he smoothy plays and shifts with the song, and never gets to crazy, watch the greats, it like lernnig songs and licks first you imitate then you make it you're own, just do what come natural it gets old watching people dance like idiots on stage.

Back