Jam Night?

barks62

Ok, so I'm still learning how to play guitar, but I feel like I'm making some progress. I heard that a local bar has jam nights once a week (kind of a surprise to me because I live in a rinky dink town), and I'm wondering if and when I should give something like that a shot. I saw something mentioned in a post for new guitarists and it got me to thinking that it might be something worth trying someday.

What skill level do I need to be before I try it? Of course I will go just to watch a few times before I even decide if I want to attempt to play, but what should I be paying attention to when I'm watching? What do I need to know so I don't go in there and look stupid? Are these stupid questions?

I would be terrified of being on stage and I'm not sure if I'd be able to play in front of people, but I thought a jam night might be the best way to find out.

I'd love to hear some thoughts on this.

Maybe you could find some friends to jam with and learn a few things to play before you try it in front of an audience.
You know, like some basic blues riff runs, so you have a starting repetoire.
We used to have Friday jam night in an old barn, all you need are some guitars, amps, girlfriends and beer
(a drummer is a huge plus if you can find one).
We got ok at playing Sweet Home Alabama and it was fun as hell.
I've never flailed in front of an audience, but something tells me it wouldn't be very fun.

Learn a couple of standards - singing and playing - get them down pat before you go there to play. Unless you want to be the next American Idol joke.

Play with some friends first. Playing with others is a whole lot different than playing in your bedroom. No friends who play, go take some lessons at a place that lets you jame with other learners.

Ok, so I'm still learning how to play guitar, but I feel like I'm making some progress. I heard that a local bar has jam nights once a week (kind of a surprise to me because I live in a rinky dink town), and I'm wondering if and when I should give something like that a shot. I saw something mentioned in a post for new guitarists and it got me to thinking that it might be something worth trying someday.

What skill level do I need to be before I try it? Of course I will go just to watch a few times before I even decide if I want to attempt to play, but what should I be paying attention to when I'm watching? What do I need to know so I don't go in there and look stupid? Are these stupid questions?

I would be terrified of being on stage and I'm not sure if I'd be able to play in front of people, but I thought a jam night might be the best way to find out.

I'd love to hear some thoughts on this.

Like they said above, learn the ol standards. People never get tired of listening to old songs they knew well as teenagers. Teenage years are when you develop your long lasting love of music, and favorites; whether you play an instrument or not.

Getting up and playing live will increase your skills, techniques, your style; more than anything. Jam nights are good for getting over stage fright, nervousness.

After you get that applause, you will probably be hooked for life.:cool:

Certain amounts of fear are great for conditioning. Makes you practice harder for next time. Plus, the people are very forgiving with a few mistakes, at those venues. You won't look stupid, just go for it, man.:listeningmusic:

Let us know how your first night goes, OK?

Not only that, you may hook up with a few dudes, and start your own band. Or, hook up in a gay sort of way, if you're into that.:eek::laughings:

You might find that if you get up and have a go, but aren't great, you'll get a more enthusiastic response than many of the better players. People at these nights love to see people who are brilliant, but are alo encouraging to those less experienced or skilled.

I was at a pub jam session once, and two girls got up and tried to sing a Radiohead song - they were pretty bad, but because they gave it a go and weren't full of themselves, they got the biggest cheer and applause of the night (it was interesting, you could feel it in the room beforehand that they were going to get a big response for having a go). Other musicians will always give you a good response because some time it might be them having a bad day up there and messing it up.

Thanks for the responses. Now I’m really gonna look stupid, but I don’t have any idea how a jam night would work. I mean, musically. You have a bunch of random musicians on stage, and then what? Do they play songs? The only people I’ve “jammed” with are my son and my guitar instructor. When I play with my son, he usually plays bass and I tell him what chords I’m going to play, then we go to town. Same thing with my instructor. He tells me the chord progression and we’re off and running. I guess that’s what I was hoping for. I would be perfectly happy getting on stage and strumming a few chords while someone else dazzles with their improv ability. Then when it’s all said and done I’ll have a few beers while waiting for my adrenaline to settle down.

I don’t even know what kind of music they play in this place. I’d be ok with blues, but now that I think about it, they’re probably playing country. You know, since that’s all they listen to here in Rinky Dink (no, it’s not on the map but it’s just north of Podunk). If that’s the case, this whole thread was wasted!!

Anyway, I’m gonna go check it out one of these days. I figure I’ll scope it out a few times before I decide if I can try to play or not. I’ll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks again for the responses!

Thanks for the responses. Now I’m really gonna look stupid, but I don’t have any idea how a jam night would work. I mean, musically. You have a bunch of random musicians on stage, and then what? Do they play songs?

Well, why don't you go to Jam night and see what they do?

And learn to play Freebird, that way you only need to know one song.

(If you are really good and they hold up lighters for an encore,
you can play rightfully just play Freebird again!) :D

Back