J-Station & Cakewalk

mojka

I hate reading instructions that come with a product as they tend to be biased and leave out some of the cons. How and what is the best way to record guitar tracks from the Johnson J Station into Cakewalk? If anybody out there can explain step by step from making the connections to mixing down I would gratly appreciative. Please spare the "throw that piece of crap out and get a POD" statements. Again, thanks in advance for your help.

All I can usefully say is that you should probably use the J-Station's S/PDIF port if your computer has a soundcard with an S/PDIF port you can come into. Then you'll keep the signal in the digital domain.

Beyond that your question is a bit like, "What's the best way to sing?" or "What's the best way to ride a bicycle?"

Connect your guitar to the J Station. Connect the Line Out L/R from your J Station to the Line In of your soundcard (may require adapters to 1/8" mini). In CW arm the track for recording and press R. Start playing notes on your guitar, preferably something cool. When finished, press Space Bar to end recording. Press W to rewind, then press Space Bar to listen to the recording.

Repeat.

Just what Heinz said.

I haven't recorded with the S/PDIF yet, but I know it works. BTW, you can send a clean sound thru the digital out while sending an effected one thru the 1/4 inch out.

Also, use "Rectifier" for everything!:D
Rock On!

And protect your balls, always.

It's funny ya know? When I was a kid boys bikes had that bar between the banana seat and handle bars that really went against the grain of the ball protecting philosophy and girls bikes had the bar that sloped down. Who the hell designs this shit? Anyways, I really just want to get a totally clean sound recorded with the J-station and with some tweaking I believe this can be achieved, but I don't understand the midi connections nor the S/PDIF connection. What would you use the midi connection for if your input is analog? I know I am exposing my ignorance but please forgive me. I do not earn a living from recording music obviously, but with your help I might and I will compensate all of you. Thanks.

I have 2 J-Stations in my home studio. I'm using it to color guitar samples, but it's all the same. The midi in/out is used if you want to edit the sounds and choose sounds via your pc/sequencer. You do not need to have the midi's hooked up. Plug your guitar in the J-Station, plug the analog stereo outs into your mixer or your sound card and start recording. Scroll through the data knob and listen to the presets. They cover all the basics. This should not be a difficult process for you. If it is, then the J-Station is not at fault, your recording skills are not up to spec yet. And do yourself a favor, spend an evening reading the manuals for your sequencer and the J-Station. This is not like a video game, learning how to use the equipment you own is just as important as learning how to play the instruments you own.

mojka said:
Anyways, I really just want to get a totally clean sound recorded with the J-station and with some tweaking I believe this can be achieved, but I don't understand the midi connections nor the S/PDIF connection. What would you use the midi connection for if your input is analog?

The MIDI connections are not for sound or music info at all. They are used to connect to your computer so you can use the J-Edit software to create new pre-sets for your J-Station. You can use the S/PDIF to send a super high-quality signal out from your J-Station to your computer. However, your computer must have a S/PDIF input for you to use that. Many sound cards (even some fairly expensive ones don't have this). The documentation for your sound card will tell you if you have one (if you have an RCA jack on your sound card then you just might).

Back