iZotope - season 4

keith.rogers

The videos from iZotope (1st 3 seasons, e.g.) are usually largely focused on the mastering tools they sell, like Ozone and RX, but they've started a season on mixing, that looks pretty good. This is the 2nd episode, mostly about monitoring.

Thanks, Keith. From the title, I wasn't expecting much, but WOW!. These guys refrained from using props and lengthy asides - sticking to the points. I learned a few things here. Very informative and enjoyable. I found Episode 1, so I'm off...

Oh yeah.. Watching Ep 1. , they got into Izotope's Tonal Balance Control which I find exciting. So I went looking for a similar tool in Reaper. Now, from what I've discovered in a short time, Reaper can accomplish the same things but is much more labor intensive in that it doesn't work in real-time - each EQ adjustment(s) must be rendered for a playback review, then repeated with many renderings until you think you're there. Izotope's does it in real-time so only one series of EQs is required.

Here's what I found on using Reaper's stock plugins :

Last edited:
I have not seen this season, but the first three seasons were pretty good. They are largely focused on the mastering tools that they sell, like Ozone and RX, but they have started a season on mixing that looks pretty good. This is the second episode, mostly about monitoring.

--
Jason Hook. I enjoy remixing old songs using Audacity together with UnMixIt for vocal removal or isolation

Oh yeah.. Watching Ep 1. , they got into Izotope's Tonal Balance Control which I find exciting. So I went looking for a similar tool in Reaper. Now, from what I've discovered in a short time, Reaper can accomplish the same things but is much more labor intensive in that it doesn't work in real-time - each EQ adjustment(s) must be rendered for a playback review, then repeated with many renderings until you think you're there. Izotope's does it in real-time so only one series of EQs is required.
I've had my ears checked a few times and while I know you are not supposed to mix with your eyes, the Tonal Balance Control gets used all the time anymore because those limits mentioned in the video are a lot narrower in my head at this point of my life. (Weirdly, I [still] have average, to above average, hearing in the vocal range, so have been advised I'd probably be unhappy with what hearing aids do, since almost all of their focus is on vocal intelligibility.)

p.s. (edit): was there a "bot" in this room? there's definitely an odor....

I did get a whiff of ozone. It's especially noticeable today.

I know I have diminished hearing in the upper range, my lower range isn't so bad. I could probably make good use of the plugin. Maybe I could learn from it - train my ears - and not become so dependent on it further down the line.

I've had my ears checked a few times and while I know you are not supposed to mix with your eyes, the Tonal Balance Control gets used all the time anymore because those limits mentioned in the video are a lot narrower in my head at this point of my life. (Weirdly, I [still] have average, to above average, hearing in the vocal range, so have been advised I'd probably be unhappy with what hearing aids do, since almost all of their focus is on vocal intelligibility.)

p.s. (edit): was there a "bot" in this room? there's definitely an odor....
Having read multiple posts from this "person" I have been convinced for days that it's a bot advertising for the service shown in sig.

Back