I've seen the light today! Apple Music touring Europe

Emusic

Today I was at the Music on Mac show-off, wich Apple has been tourning Europe with. Not the wildest show on earth; but good stuff. Torstein Flakne (Vokalist/Songwriter/guitarist) of Stage Dolls (Norway) was hired in to jam off some in garageband/LE/Logic Pro. What I saw at the show, together with what I have read past the last 4 months on Logic pro and Mac metamorphed into the last nail in my PC's coffin.
The ease of appleloops, sculpture, number of possible drop in effects..... you name it. Amazing.
I saw the light today.
I'm going Mac asap.

can't blame ya. As soon as I can afford it, I will too. The hard part was yesterday, when I got an ad for MicroCenter, who's clearing out the 12" powerbook 1.33Ghz for $899 after rebates. Ooh, that was hard to resist. but it would have meant canceling my 7 string order, and I have waited too long for that. So my next big purchase will be a loaded 12" PB. I really liked Logic Express, it's a nice app.

I know that there are a lot of people here that dislike Mac, but now that I am working in IT, working with Windows all day in its various versions (NT4, 2K, and XP) and then coming home to record and jam with Windows is vomit-inducing. I need a change of pace, and my wife has a hard time dragging me out of the Apple Store whenever we visit for various iPod accessories.

i use macs and pcs all day when I'm at work....one for graphic design and the other for editing and normal day to day operations. i dont have any ill feelings when i come home and record on my pc. its not that i dont like macs...i just dont see mac or pc as the end all and be all of the music recording existence

Polaris20 said:
I know that there are a lot of people here that dislike Mac, but now that I am working in IT, working with Windows all day in its various versions (NT4, 2K, and XP) and then coming home to record and jam with Windows is vomit-inducing. I need a change of pace, and my wife has a hard time dragging me out of the Apple Store whenever we visit for various iPod accessories.
Getting a Linux distro running would invariably be cheaper (x1000). I haven't tried Linux as a DAW OS in a few years, but it looks like it's coming along.

elevate said:
Getting a Linux distro running would invariably be cheaper (x1000). I haven't tried Linux as a DAW OS in a few years, but it looks like it's coming along.

Not quite there yet, I've tried. In fact once I get the PB, my existing computers will be converted to Linux.

i'lll keep myself for a powerbook g5...just upgraded my daw p4 2ghz with 1gb rams
and 2sata hdds and i'll wait until the relase of powerbook g5s and sell it...

liquidgruve said:
i'lll keep myself for a powerbook g5...just upgraded my daw p4 2ghz with 1gb rams
and 2sata hdds and i'll wait until the relase of powerbook g5s and sell it...

That won't happen for awhile, not until they can get the heat issue under wraps.

I think multi-core Freescale G4's are more likely.

Polaris20 said:
That won't happen for awhile, not until they can get the heat issue under wraps.
Ya know, I realize Apple has billed the task of sticking a G5 in a laptop as the greatest thermal design challenge ever, but...um, lots of people have been sticking hotter P4s in laptops for quite a while now. So, really, what's the deal?

Don't forget size as an issue. I'm sure Apple had a hard time getting the G5 to fit in the new iMac, and Apple would not settle for a large PowerBook replacing a slimmer G4 line.

Alexbt said:
Don't forget size as an issue. I'm sure Apple had a hard time getting the G5 to fit in the new iMac, and Apple would not settle for a large PowerBook replacing a slimmer G4 line.
Form > Function?

Ok so I ended up with a Mac and Logic. I was curious if I had to freeze tracks to get rather large projects going. So far I have no need to freeze.
One of my latest projects holds 102 realtime plugins (17 spacedesigners(the heaviest reverb plugin that comes with Logic)) 4 Virtual Guitarist tracks, several Virtual Instruments from the stock Logic Setup and around 20+ Audio stereo tracks. My prosessor workload meter shows that this occupies from 40-70% of the capacity of the Mac and Logic.
I wouldn´t miss it for the world!
Way to go Apple :rolleyes:

Emusic said:
Ok so I ended up with a Mac and Logic. I was curious if I had to freeze tracks to get rather large projects going. So far I have no need to freeze.
One of my latest projects holds 102 realtime plugins (17 spacedesigners(the heaviest reverb plugin that comes with Logic)) 4 Virtual Guitarist tracks, several Virtual Instruments from the stock Logic Setup and around 20+ Audio stereo tracks. My prosessor workload meter shows that this occupies from 40-70% of the capacity of the Mac and Logic.
I wouldn´t miss it for the world!
Way to go Apple :rolleyes:

Congratulations on seeing the light! Hopefully, it won't be a freight train at the end of the tunnel! What Mac did you end up with? How much RAM, CPU, etc.?

dwillis45 said:
Congratulations on seeing the light! Hopefully, it won't be a freight train at the end of the tunnel! What Mac did you end up with? How much RAM, CPU, etc.?

Yeah, ditto that. Those are impressive numbers.

Its in my Sig. Got the G5 Power 2.5 Ghz dual with 2.5 Gb ram. That was the top model when I bought earlier this year. Using a Juli@ pci card.
There aint no trains. Not even tunnels :)

Nice! I'm envious. I'm limping along on an old 800 mHz flat panel i-mac waiting for a new imac 2 gHz G5 to arrive. I'm also in the process of jumping from Cubase and AudioDesk to DP 4.52.

As a long time mac user (Performa,G2, G4, imac, ibook), there are a few freight trains in the tunnel. I know because I've had two ibooks "run over" because of defective logic boards, fire-prone batteries, and a poorly designed power supplies. I also just replaced a broken DVD drive in the family computer--a six month old iMac 1.8 GHz G5.

I see. So u´re switching to mac without considering Logic now? wow!
We´ll I have a 3 year warranty/service deal on this G5. And when that runs out I´m getting a new one.
So far - no problems. I will post any problems in this very thread.

I have the same system as yourself, Emusic, with the Dual 2.5 G5 with 2.5 GB of ram. Both Logic and DP are excellent choices for platforms on this machine, both having their perks in different areas. I've heard Logic comes with some great VI's and a huge plug-in bundle, while DP's MIDI capabilities and Pro Tools HD compatibility are as good as it gets. The only problem I've ever had with DP is a random COQ issue, which is probably due to the fact that I'm still running Panther 10.3.5, with the original DP 4.5 that came on the install disk. I plan on upgrading to Tiger and to DP 4.52 which I understand run seamlessly together. The expandability on the Mac is wonderful though, with 3 PCI-X slots that I hope to be filling soon enough with UAD-1 and TC Powercore cards.

Emusic said:
I see. So u´re switching to mac without considering Logic now? .

I guess Logic Pro just seemed a little expensive. I contemplated Logic Express but couldn't find enough information comparing the two. Plus, my old software (AudioDesk) is basically a stripped down version of DP without MIDI and I thought it made more sense to step up to DP.

Back