I've never listened to them !

grimtraveller

If only for a moment.....
So who are those revered bands and/or artists that you've heard of and read about for decades/years that everyone else seems to have an opinion on but whose stuff you've never knowingly heard ?
I've never listened to Steely Dan or James Taylor, as far as I know. I've never listened to Buffalo Springfield or Crosby, Stills and Nash {except their bit in the Woodstock film and I don't remember it}. I've listened to songs she wrote by others but I've never listened to Joni Mitchell.
I've heard hundreds of artists....but there are also quite a few really well-known ones I've never listened to. Or particularly wanted to. I'll read their biographies/autobiographies, watch documentaries, read their interviews, read reviews of their work etc, but.....

You Should Check out Pink Floyd They're groovy man!

Seriously brother if you have not immersed yourself in any of your aforementioned bands in this thread it almost hints of click bait it's so hard to believe. That said if you're serious I can believe it. I suppose it's easy for anyone anywhere in the world to assume the rest of the world knows all the hip slick things we are aware of in our little ponds.

Circa 2008 I was in China having dinner with 3 Chinese folks of different ages. All younger than me. One was in his early 50's , the other two a guy and a girl were in their early to mid 30's. We start talking music. I mention the Beatles. Question marks popping up over their heads...not a fricking clue who the Beatles were. I was in shock. They were dead serious they had never heard of them. They did know who Michael Jackson was...whew! When I asked if they knew who Elvis was, the two younger ones didn't but the older guy said they call him the Big Bird in China...

Now this was 2008 and the internets was still sketchy and the young generation was just starting to embrace this world wide web thing...and the powers that be were holding it down... 18 years later the kids are hip slick n cool and so are most middle aged and older Chinese. VPN's let them see what Big Brother doesn't want them to see.
It has been amazing watching the culture change there almost day and night from when I first started going there. CRAZY.

So yeah I can see how you might have not gotten the memo that Steely Dan, James Taylor, Buffalo Springfield or Crosby, Stills, Nash AND YOUNG are all kick ass acts.
What about Alice Cooper, J.Geils, The Alman Brothers, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Blue Oyster Cult, Chicago, The Doobie Brothers, ZZ Top, Heart, Credence Clearwater, Sly and the Family Stone...Oh man Jim Croce, Lynard Skynard, Santana, Arlo Guthrie... Holy Moly what a Cheap Day Return

Last edited:
You Should Check out Pink Floyd They're groovy man!

Seriously brother if you have not immersed yourself in any of your aforementioned bands in this thread it almost hints of click bait it's so hard to believe. That said if you're serious I can believe it. I suppose it's easy for anyone anywhere in the world to assume the rest of the world knows all the hip slick things we are aware of in our little ponds.

Circa 2008 I was in China having dinner with 3 Chinese folks of different ages. All younger than me. One was in his early 50's , the other two a guy and a girl were in their early to mid 30's. We start talking music. I mention the Beatles. Question marks popping up over their heads...not a fricking clue who the Beatles were. I was a in shock. They were dead serious they had never heard of them. They did know who Michael Jackson was...whew! When I asked if they knew who Elvis was, the two younger ones didn't but the older guy said they call him the Big Bird in China...

Now this was 2008 and the internets was still sketchy and the young generation was just starting to imbrace this world wide web thing...and the powers that be were holding it down... 18 years later the kids are hip slick n cool and so are most middle aged and older Chinese. VPN's let them see what Big Brother doesn't want them to see.
It has been amazing watching the culture change there almost day and night from when I first started going there. CRAZY.

So yeah I can see how you might have not gotten the memo that Steely Dan, James Taylor, Buffalo Springfield or Crosby, Stills, Nash AND YOUNG are all kick ass acts.
What about Alice Cooper, J.Geils, The Alman Brothers, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Blue Oyster Cult, Chicago, The Doobie Brothers, ZZ Top, Heart, Credence Clearwater, Sly and the Family Stone...Oh man Jim Croce, Lynard Skynard, Santana, Arlo Guthrie... Holy Moly what a Cheap Day Return
Eh, never heard of them. Are they some new English artists?

Reactions: TAE
So who are those revered bands and/or artists that you've heard of and read about for decades/years that everyone else seems to have an opinion on but whose stuff you've never knowingly heard ?
I've never listened to Steely Dan or James Taylor, as far as I know. I've never listened to Buffalo Springfield or Crosby, Stills and Nash {except their bit in the Woodstock film and I don't remember it}. I've listened to songs she wrote by others but I've never listened to Joni Mitchell.
I've heard hundreds of artists....but there are also quite a few really well-known ones I've never listened to. Or particularly wanted to. I'll read their biographies/autobiographies, watch documentaries, read their interviews, read reviews of their work etc, but.....
I think GT may be having a leg pull. :-)

Big Yellow Taxi, Haitian Divorce, Ricky Dont Lose That Number, FM No Static, Do It Again, Woodstock, I Believe In Father Xmas, You've Got A Friend, How Sweet It Is, have all been regular radio play and even TV ad material over the years in UK. You couldnt really miss them.

Heard or listened too GT?:unsure:

Alice Cooper is the only one I've listened to there.
Buffalo Springfield kicks butt.
Nope.
Big Yellow Taxi, Haitian Divorce, Ricky Dont Lose That Number, FM No Static, Do It Again, Woodstock, I Believe In Father Xmas, You've Got A Friend, How Sweet It Is, have all been regular radio play and even TV ad material over the years in UK. You couldnt really miss them.
Nope II

Wow thats unreal. Perhaps its all down to not recognising the song then?

I believe in father xmas is banged out every year with the other xmas tracks for one.

Having a younger crew and front of house people makes you feel old. We've had many tribute music shows through the theatre. Queen, Abba, Beatles, Rolling stones, Four Seasons, Drifters, Beach Boys, Michael Jackson, ELO, Steely Dan, Frankie Valley, Elvis.

They had never heard of Beatles, Rolling stones, Four Seasons, Drifters, Beach Boys, ELO, Steely Dan or Frankie Valley. They did, however, knos some of the songs - just not the bands. All 22 and younger.

Lordy, Grim. Have you been living under a rock for the past 50 years? I've listened to just about every group listed, have LPs and CDs from almost all of them, have seen quite a few in concert, and even recorded or played songs from a quite a few.

Back