I've narrowed down my search...

0-T

Sup y'all,

I'm trying to throw together a semi-professional bedroom booth (vocal mic and pre-amp) for under $500. I'm a newbie here, so I didn't wanna make a "what mic should I get" post without doing a lot of searching first. From some of your reviews, I think I've narrowed it down to:

Condenser Microphone
  • Audio-Technica 4040 - $299.99
    This one's popular... supposedly it replaced the 4033. I know a lot of people in the industry use AT-4040's now, so I'm sure it's not bad... but industry standard rarely means "best," so I haven't settled on it yet.
  • Marshall MXL2003 ($239.99) or Marshall MXLv67 ($199.99)
    I've seen a lot of you recommend both, but their specs are pretty different to say they're in the same price range. Which would you buy for recording vocals and why?
  • Rode NT1 - $199.99
    Seems like a great mic for a great price. I've spoken to people that own them, and they're happy, but they're also quick to admit that mics in the 300 dollar range are easily better. That's a bit confusing for me...$100 doesn't seem like much to pay for a "clearly better" mic. What do you think?
  • Rode NT1000 - $299.99
    I've heard that this mic may be "too clean" for hip-hop/R&B recordings. I don't see how that's a bad thing though. Shouldn't the vocals be recorded as clearly as possible before the mixing process? Any experiences with this one?
  • Rode NTK - $499.99
    This one's way out of my price range, but I just wanted to know what makes it so much better than other Rodes. What are you getting for that extra 2-300?
  • Oktava MK-319 - $99.99
    Seems like an incredible mic for the price, but since they're hand made, the quality control varies. This pretty much ruled it out completely for me, so I dunno. =
  • Shure KSM27 - $299.99
    A friend of mine actually has this and likes it, but it's his first and only studio mic, so that doesn't say much. How would you compare it to other mics in the $299.99 price range?
  • Studio Projects B3 - $159.99
    Ok, the C1 is actually the mic that comes with the most praise, but I can't find it anywhere. This B3 is priced nicely, but I'm not sure how it compares to the mics in its price range, as well as the ones in the $299 range. Any thoughts or experiences?

Pre-Amp Compressor
  • FMR Audio RNC - $175.00
    I've heard some good things about this, but I'm not familiar at all with compressors and pre-amps. I just need something to hook the mic into my PC without losing quality, but added perks would be nice.
  • ART Tube - $189.99
    My friend has this (same friend with the Shure KSM27), and he likes it... but he hasn't used anything else, so I'm not sure what to make of it. Would it go well with the ideal mic in it's price range?

Mic Cable
  • MusicFriend's Lo-Z - $2.99
    I just need 20 feet of cable, and this seems like it'll do. It's pretty cheap though... anything wrong with this?
What are your thoughts on these products, good or bad (specifically bad)? When replying, please mention if you:

A) ...have personal experience with it, or if you're going by word of mouth.
B) ...know of a superior product in the same price range.
C) ...know of somewhere to get it cheaper online.

Thank you in advance for any helpful replies. I really appreciate it.

The only item on the list I have actual experience with is the rode ntk. It's major difference from the other rodes, and maybe why it is more expensive, is that its a tube mic, which means there is actually a tube inside:D (I thought that was pretty cool when I opened it up) and that it needs its own power supply (which requires a special Rode cable, also Included).

Also, the RNC is only a compressor, so if you buy that, you will still need to buy a preamp.

Eric

KingstonRock said:
Also, the RNC is only a compressor, so if you buy that, you will still need to buy a preamp.
Really? thanks...

*scratches that one off the list*

I have a Rode NTK, and I love it. The Rode NT1000 is supposed to sound an awful lot like the Rode NTK, without the slight "excited" tubey quality to it. So, I guess, I would recommend the NT1000, but I haven't had experience with the other mics, other than the V67. I really like my V67 on my vocals.

Re: Re: I've narrowed down my search...

Thanks for the quick replies...

DJL, is the Studio Projects VTB-1 preamp what you use? What do you think makes it stand out above other preamps, specifically the Art Tube? I really like the built-in compressor, so I'm leaning towards that one.

Joe Recorder, thanks... That's a huge price difference. Reading the specs on the V67, it seems to pick up less frequencies than most of the other mics I'm considering. "Frequency Range: 30Hz - 20kHz" while most are 20 to 20... isn't that a factor?

cominginsecond...so you own a MXL-V67B too? For the price ($89.99), I'm assuming you'd recommend one. Maybe you can answer the question I asked Joe.

For a minimalist, clean pre, even-sounding mic sound...

Get a Marshall MXL V67b - $90.00
and an FMR RNP preamp - $475.00
Total - $565.00

Unfortunately, no compressor in this setup.

or

For a more versatile (because of compressor and tube in VTB), more "in your face" sound (because of slightly more highs in C1)...

Get a Studio Projects C1 - $199.00
a Studio Projects VTB-1 - $179.00
and an FMR RNC compressor - $180.00
Total - $558.00

*confused*

Okay, why not just use the v67b with the Studio Projects Preamp? Also, what's wrong with the Art Tube PAC? And what differences do you notice between the v67 and the SP C1?

Okay, why not just use the v67b with the Studio Projects Preamp?
There's no reason not to use the v67 with the SP preamp.
Also, what's wrong with the Art Tube PAC?
The ART Tube PAC has a reputation of being noisy.
And what differences do you notice between the v67 and the SP C1?
I only have the v67, but harvey gerst says that they are very similar.
cominginsecond...so you own a MXL-V67B too? For the price ($89.99), I'm assuming you'd recommend one. Maybe you can answer the question I asked Joe.
And, yes, I do recommend the v67, especially for $90 price. (I got it when it was $199, and I'd recommend it even at that price.)

One mic you havn't considered is Shure SM7-B, a high-end dynamic. High quality dynamics are particularly well suited for hiphop and R&B. On line price is like $379, I talked GC out of one for $325. As far as "why not use VTB-1 with V67B?" I personally think that's a good plan. For $180 more, you get an RNC compressor, and you have the whole deal. I would strongly suggest, however, that you use cables by B.L.U.E, Mogami, or Monster, or solder your own using Mogami cable and Neutrik connectors. Plugging good mics and pres in with cheap cables is like putting kerosene in your Ninja.-Richie

I actually did look at that Shure SM7, but ruled it out completely on price. Some of the most acclaimed mics I've seen on the forum (Studio Projects C1 and Rode NT1000) still don't exceed 300 dollars, so I dunno. What mic were you using before you got yours, by the way?

Well, frankly, O-T, I use a lot of mics. and I don't have SM-7 yet, it's in the mail. I'm liable to be using SM-7 for toms and snares, and mic'ing cabs, but it is highly spoken of as a vocal mic, and may be perfect for some cuts. It's just another color to add to a fairly serious mic assortment. Mostly, I've been using Studio Projects C-3 and Rode NTK, but now I'm re-tracking most of an album because I just got B.L.U.E. KIWI, which blows the competition away pretty badly. A couple of cuts with the NTK will stay, because it's a different sound, and the performances were good. Everything I did with C-3 will be retracked, though, because I really think KIWI is the mic the C-3 wishes it was.
BTW- check the gear for sale forum. I've got a bunch of stuff I'm selling due to recent gear upgrades (and planned ones) that might interest you. Particularly my C-3 and a DBX386 mic pre, either one of which might be useful to you. Also, you mention quality control on MK319 is variable, which is true. I've got one for sale cheap that I guarantee is a good mic. So there you go. If you have interest, send me an email or a PM. I doubt the C-3 will last long.- Richie

Damn, and I was all but convinced to get the Art Tube... I might anyway, but this is the first I've heard anything negative about it. So what other pre-amps would you recommend in the $200 range?

cominginsecond, thanks... you've put the v67 back in the race.

Right now, I have it narrowed down to:And thanks again Richard... do you have a link to the threads specifically? If not, don't worry about it. I'll probably end up going with a store purchase, just for warranty purposes.

thanks... it never fails. Every time I make a thread to narrow down my choices, I just end up with more.

12 hours later, got it down to 3 mics...
  • Marshall MXLv67 - $89.99
    Great price and highly recommended.
  • Rode NT1 $199.99
    Recommended by a few different people I know personally.
  • Studio Projects C1 - $199.99
    Everyone who uses it (on a few different forums) can't seem to shut up about them.
And no idea whatsover which pre I'll settle on. *sigh*

Re: Re: Re: I've narrowed down my search...

0-T said:
Reading the specs on the V67, it seems to pick up less frequencies than most of the other mics I'm considering. "Frequency Range: 30Hz - 20kHz" while most are 20 to 20... isn't that a factor?

The spec's you quoted are actually quite meaningless. A manufacturer might say a mic has a 20 Hz - 20kHz response, but if its down 18dB at 20 Hz, it's likely going to have worse bass response than a mic that is quoted as being 30 Hz to 20 kHz, but is only down 3 dB at 30 Hz. It's way too easy to lie with spec's.

The only way to do this is to figure out what mic's have the features you want (condensor/dynamic, multi pattern/single-pattern, etc.), then figure out which of those are in your price range, and then try them out. You're doing yourself a disservice by eliminating possible choices based on "specs" or based on the opinions of one or two people here. You really just have to listen to them.

Back