I've got a problem with a loud drummer, need some advice.

Macpb

Hello,
I'm a guitar/horn player in a rock/ska band... kind of a rock band with horns. And well, our drummer is driving me and the rest of the band crazy. He's not really a light jazz/ska/rock fan but more of a hard rock/metal type person. The guy will not, and I'm beginning to believe cannot, play softly. Now since I'm not a percussionist, I can't just tell him to stop playing loud anymore, because it's going no where.

Is there a certain method of hitting the equipment at certain angles, or maybe a type of drumstick that can soften his sound a bit? I've looked at something I believe were called "hot-rods" and it's a group of small sticks held together and they seemed to soften the sound a bit, but I'm really uneducated about all this.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

The hotrods will be quieter, but if he is a basher, he will just break them. Maybe it's time to find a drummer that fits the style of music you play. At the studio, I'm plagued with hard rock and metal bands with drummers that don't hit hard enough. Maybe we could set up some sort of drummer exchange program.

You might also get one of those plexiglass walls (Like you see around drummers on TV shows) It will do 2 things, 1 it will shield you from the noise. 2 it reflects the sound back at him. (he might back off because of it)

Farview said:
At the studio, I'm plagued with hard rock and metal bands with drummers that don't hit hard enough. .

Me too.
Ironicly its usually bands that have this superhardcore sound.
You go to record the drummer and hes playing like a puss.
It can make bleed a serious issue. :(

2 schools of thought.....

when you dont have sound reinforcement on drums, the situation is rather reversed...damned guitarists and vocalists have electricity on their side. Ever notice when the drummer gets electricity no one wants any...llol

but anyway...i used to use light sticks to play faster. Force him to use lighter faster sticks, and his riffs will probably get faster, too. If you use big, heavy stix and play real hard, it s necessary for when the drummer has no PA and sound reinforcement...but not once you mic and PA him. Then, playing harder was more of a liability foir me...with lighter sticks, not only was i able to play my riffsfaster and tighter, but once i learned to let the electricicty do the work for me, i could play longer sets with less fatigue.

get light, thin, nylon tipped sticks. In bulk, i suggest...lol. As he breaks them, he'll slowly start to hit less hard, and his playing will get faster and tighter to boot. I used to call the thinner stix "jazz stix" and the thicker heavier ones "rick stix", tho thats my terms, not a technical definition...lol

TIP: I always tuned my heads tighter with thinner sticks hitting them less hard, and looser for playing heavier with the big sticks. Tightening the heads, and a bulk pack of thin nylon sticks will have things in hand in no time.

Macpb said:
I've looked at something I believe were called "hot-rods" and it's a group of small sticks held together and they seemed to soften the sound a bit, but I'm really uneducated about all this.

woah, he will shred a pair of hot rods in minutes. I only use hot rods for accoutic sets. They don't really work as a subtitute for real sticks. I would say either get a new drummer... or if that isnt possible. Try to get him to play on a smaller kit?? 8" 10" 14" 18"?

It can be a pain in practice and live situations, but loud drummer often record really well (unless they play cybals way louder than the drums)

Hot Rods are a totally different sound than a stick and the other posters are right. He will probably shred them. I think the best advice I have seen on this thread is for a plexi-glass baffle to tone down the sound a bit.

I have this same problem with my friend that plays drums. He doesn't grasp the concept of dynamics. If you're drummer is anything like my friend then you'll have to replace him because my friend lives in his own world, where he thinks he is playing quieter but his playing the exact same.

"Dynamics? I've got dynamics! I'm playing as loud as I can, aren't me?"

A drummer like this can make playing a gig a nightmare. It can make the difference between getting repeat business or "expanding your touring area" because you never get asked back.

1) Get a plexiglass cage or

2) Fire him.

if u cant fire him then all u do is put dmapeners on his kit. it will soudn pretty shit but that dont matter 4 practicin cos he'll be hittin the things and a tone will be produced but it wil sound shit. u use the kit for anything else but practicin. gigs, recording, etc etc. Or if you still have the stock heads with the kit - i assume uve changed the heads - then all you do it stick gaffa tape all over the heads and then for recoding and gigs oyu swap the heads over. simple as.

It takes time for drummers to learn how to play with dynamics and even longer to learn how to play soft (relavent to the type of gig) - sadly, some drummers don't get it and never will.

If you (or oher members of the band) have discussed this with the drummer and no change has occured - you're out of luck until he figures it out on his own (good drumers always do figure it out - how soon they figure it out, who knows).

You may simply have to find a different drummer.

if he can't play with dynamics, he can't be considered too good of a drummer. i'd rather have a smart drummer as opposed to a speed demon with no musical sense.

alot of drummers ignore the fact about LIFTING the stick as apposed to just throwing the thing down,,,,, lighter sticks wont solve the problem,,, try getting him a copy of George Lawrence Stones' 'stick Control' .

Fire his Ass!!!

ive never met a drummer who carnt play quiet so he must be pretty shit??
i can only see 2options here.....

1) turn yourselfs up e.g, bass, guitar, vox
or
2) like I started, fire his ass & find yourselfs a fuckin good drummer who will work with and for the band to produce a sound that all are happy with!

MoRBiD

I saw some carbon hot-rod type sticks in MF last week, supposedly unbreakable or some shit. Or hard to break. Anyway, I highly suggest looking into those, even though they were like $30, well worth the hearing you'll save.
The ultimate bet for practicing is a set of electronic drums, turned down to a level that everyone can speak to each other while still practicing, and your wives can watch TV in the next room without complaining.
Save the skins for the day before the show, and the show itself. Be smart.

drummerdude666 said:
if u cant fire him then all u do is put dmapeners on his kit. it will soudn pretty shit but that dont matter 4 practicin cos he'll be hittin the things and a tone will be produced but it wil sound shit. u use the kit for anything else but practicin. gigs, recording, etc etc. Or if you still have the stock heads with the kit - i assume uve changed the heads - then all you do it stick gaffa tape all over the heads and then for recoding and gigs oyu swap the heads over. simple as.

Learn how to spell, type and speak english you retard!

Macpb said:
Hello,
I'm a guitar/horn player in a rock/ska band... kind of a rock band with horns. And well, our drummer is driving me and the rest of the band crazy. He's not really a light jazz/ska/rock fan but more of a hard rock/metal type person. The guy will not, and I'm beginning to believe cannot, play softly. Now since I'm not a percussionist, I can't just tell him to stop playing loud anymore, because it's going no where.

Is there a certain method of hitting the equipment at certain angles, or maybe a type of drumstick that can soften his sound a bit? I've looked at something I believe were called "hot-rods" and it's a group of small sticks held together and they seemed to soften the sound a bit, but I'm really uneducated about all this.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Fire him! I've learned that you can't waste time on people who don't want to change, or simply just don't give a shit.

Back