I've got $400 for monitors....

leaningpine

What would the best monitors be for the price.

I was looking at KRK Rokit 8's and Behringer Truths. What do you guys think of these monitors and what would you recommend?

I think you can learn to use either of those just fine - I used to have some Rockit 8s and there was no glaring deficiency in sound that they were unable to reproduce, and I've read, repeatedly, that the Truths are in the same ballpark. They're both fine choices to get you started, in my opinion.

+1 for KRKs. M-audio and Behringers have more bass missing than the krks, Ive used all three and the KRKs are the most accurate in that range.

Behringer Truths are the only decent pair I've ever owned so I can't compare but most certainly can vouch for them.
No surprises when you play your tracks on your friends' players.
I listened in while someone was trying out some more expensive monitors the other day and could hear all sorts of differences in 3 sets of monitors but in all honesty, without hearing music I'm familiar with, I couldn't choose between one or the other.
My point?.... Take your all time, favourite album to the shop when your buying. (MP3/Ipod/Disc)
$400 is still a lot of money. Even in U.S. currency. :laughings: :)

Absolutely, and the less I can spend the better, but I also don't want to shoot myself in the foot either. I haven't had a problem with behringer products yet.... I've had a analog/digital converter for about 6 years, a full PA for 3 and they haven't crapped out on me and they were fine out of the box.

I'll have to go to guitar center or sam ash and test them both out.

I'll have to go to guitar center or sam ash and test them both out.

Good idea. Take some CDs that you've listened to so many times in so many different environments that you just know, by heart, what they're supposed to sound like, you know that CD X has tighter chest-pounding kick than CD Y, but CD Y's bass is actually louder, little things like that - then buy the monitors that best represent what you expect to hear. That's the best way I'm aware of to get the monitors that you will be able to work best with.

I haven't had a problem with behringer products yet.... I've had a analog/digital converter for about 6 years, a full PA for 3 and they haven't crapped out on me and they were fine out of the box.
Same here.
My studio and live gear are mostly Behringer and never a problem.
However, it's your ears that will be the judge.

I have heard the krk rokit 6's are better than the 8's. I would be willing to go with those, There's about $100 difference in price. There's only a 5 HZ difference, the 8's are 44Hz and the 6's are 49Hz. the kind of music I'll be mixing doesn't usually need to go down to 44Hz anyway. I guess that's more for Techno or house music.

I have some KRK RP5's and a friend of mine has some KRK RP8's and I have been very pleased with them. +1 for KRK

Just bought the KRK 5's and I'm happy with them. I listened to the 5 and the 6 and to be honest, there wasn't a whole lot of difference between the 2. The bass was the most important to me and both had the same amount of kick for rock music that I needed.

I'm burning them in right now and I'm gonna mix on them soon!

WOW, I am completely embarrassed that I presented my mixes on this forum without mixing them on studio monitors.

I listened to my mixes on my krk's and they sound awful! I'm going to post a "Why not to mix on stereo speakers" thread and use a before(stereo speakers) and after(studio monitors) mix of my worst sounding tune lol!

Just the little time I've spent listening to them I can't beleive how colored stereo speakers are. (Audiophile stereo speakers not included but they cost 20 times more than studio monitors!)

I am absolutely impressed that with the limited budget I was able to buy a set of monitors that are pretty damn accurate. My mix sounded just like it did when I mixed it on the KRK's on all the systems I played back on and I didn't have to use any wild EQ curves on the tracks like I did mixing on the stereo speakers. I think that was the biggest issue. My eq'd tracks on the stereo speakers I could never get to sound natural so I had to boost and cut frequencies alot. I hardly had to touch the eq when mixing on the KRK's. I mainly used the EQ as a high/low pass filter.

CAn you tell I'm satisfied! Thanks for helping me with my choice.

WOW, I am completely embarrassed that I presented my mixes on this forum without mixing them on studio monitors.

I listened to my mixes on my krk's and they sound awful! I'm going to post a "Why not to mix on stereo speakers" thread and use a before(stereo speakers) and after(studio monitors) mix of my worst sounding tune lol!

Just the little time I've spent listening to them I can't beleive how colored stereo speakers are. (Audiophile stereo speakers not included but they cost 20 times more than studio monitors!)

QUOTE]

I AGREE..... I WAS USING SOME HOUSE SPEAKERS,AND I COULD NEVER GET IT RIGHT ,WHERE EVER I PLAYED THE TRACKS.SOUND GREAT IN THE STUDIO.

But once i went hard on my first monitors, some yams hs 80. I was in gc for atleast 3 hours. I listen to all the monitors. Over and over.I rember the hours on the net reading reviews.I came down to yams and macks and kirks.
I went with the yams hs 80.
And I love them for the accuracy.They translate very,very well.

I've done some rough mixes on my KRK's and they translate well also. I may have bought the yamaha's if I had the money but the KRK's just seemed better for the money. Plus I heard that the yamaha's have a strange mid-range boost you have to get used to. I just wanted a flat speaker and the KRK's were +/-2 on the frequency chart. The 6's were the best but that was slightly over my budget.

I agree, if it is money than you did what you had to do.
one thing is for sure the yams do not boost the mids at all it is flat,look at there chart readings, it is flater than the krks.

I went thru a few trials at home with monitors a few years ago. what fun..

also recall liking the KRK's, I think the 8's... M-Audo 5" with a sub was really nice... ended up trying these Yorkville YSM1p's as so many raved about them and those were the ones I settled on, although the shipping is a gamble etc..doesn't mean you'd like them. Had the KRK6's the white cabinet, those were cool, different than the 8's though..

I tried some DYNBM5 and those were really nice....the YSM1p's I tweaked to match the DYN's as close as I could and was happy enough.

Ran across a used pair of Mackies HR8 for around $400, I dissected those and played around with them, which was fun, really interesting design in those earlier ones, and I posted a bunch on that pair and sold them for a profit I recall. Nothing really stood waaaay out from my YSM1p's from that point on. Possibly the room is the weak link now.

I been swamped with bullshit ever since but that was a fun spurt of activity, I tried some B&W passives, some JBLControl 5 passives....I forget, some RadioShack Optimus that some famous engineer made gold records on supposedly... Lord someone.

anyway, I came away with the same thing so many said, choose a pair you enjoy listening to everyday, and stop changing them/swapping them because that prevents getting to know the speakers inside and out, 100%.
Thats the two main things.

and set your stuff up in the triangle and all that is cool, and at least get the the room best you can, thats a huge thing too the gang here turned me on to.....

good luck...have fun...

thats some funny comments, my funniest shit recording comment, was a buddy who listened to the song and when it was done he said "not bad...you used a garbage can for the drums?"

he was serious...

Back