it's time to build

beyond_therapy

for years i have been building up a collection, of recording gear and now i have to start to built a studio to put the gear in, my problem is, i have a four car garage that i want to convert but it has a steel frame and tin walls (not good). I need help....
should i line the tin walls with insolation, than build a room in side that, with a 2inch gap from the outer walls, it also has a concrete floor, thinking of building floating floor over it, any help would be great,

thanks bill

i think that you will probably have to build a room within the room, do you have a big issue with sound proofing, or are the nieghbours cool? the home studios i've seen have pretty much all been done like house frames with plasterboard covered in carpet, one guy had a neighbourhood noise issue so he built his out of brick, oh welll i'm not much help, but i used to live in melbourne so i thought i better give it a shot :)

Can you post a drawing of the room, with meassurement? Have you checked the SAE/Sayers site? Lots of great construction tips.

this is a rough sketch of what i have got

thanks for the help, here is a the drawing of the size garage i have to work with.

Attachments

• studio_plan.jpg
    studio_plan.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 144
h'mmmmm

thank you to the people who have set me on my way, i've been looking around at other studio layouts, getting good ideas, for a small home setup, would a room (16ft w X 15ft d) would this be big enough for drums, bass and guitar to be recorded. or would i have to build a drum room as well, don't won't to have to do this as i play guitar, and the studio would be for myself and friends to lay down ideas/demos.(but not piss the old couple next door off)

Re: h'mmmmm

beyond_therapy said:
thank you to the people who have set me on my way, i've been looking around at other studio layouts, getting good ideas, for a small home setup, would a room (16ft w X 15ft d) would this be big enough for drums, bass and guitar to be recorded. or would i have to build a drum room as well, don't won't to have to do this as i play guitar, and the studio would be for myself and friends to lay down ideas/demos.(but not piss the old couple next door off)

Generally, when recording a "garage band" or a "rock band", I set them all up in one area, stick two mics over the kit, mike the bass drum, then mike the guitar amp, then insert a direct box into the bass player's amp if I can. If not, he/she gets a mic too.

I record everything all at once to stereo, then move these tracks way over on the recorders. Then i start over, micing the drum kit much better, and feed the prior recording into his/her headphones, and capture just the kit.

Repeat for bass player.
Repeat for rhythm guitar.
Repeat for vocals.
Repeat for lead guitar.

This way they have their bandmates to play against (recording) and I can isolate their individual instruments better for more control in the mix.

If necessary I can provide a click track or a "sing to this pitch" for the vocalist if they need/want.

Back