• chandler tg1

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • sytek mpx-4aii

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • a design mp-2

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • neve potico

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • gt vipre(maybe this doesnt belong because of price)

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • avalon 737

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • grace101

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • john hardy m1

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • other

Votes: 10 22.2%

• Total voters

mr. produca

which two pres do you think is best for me,i know i ask alot of these what is best questions,i just hope you guys arent getting tired of me. what is the best clean/color mic pre combination.im doing the ohh so infamous hip hop and r&b.I hardly think of budget now,not that im rich,but im desperate,i might as well get the good stuff even if it will take longer.then i wont have to upgrade that much if at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: NL5
mr. produca said:
which two pres do you think is best for me,i know i ask alot of these what is best questions,i just hope you guys arent getting tired of me. what is the best clean/colormic pre combination

It might help if you mentioned what kind of music you're doing, as well as your price range. When I had your question it was a Great River and a Hardy (and those weren't cheap!)

mr. produca said:
which two pres do you think is best for me,i know i ask alot of these what is best questions,i just hope you guys arent getting tired of me. what is the best clean/colormic pre combination
We're just getting tired of this same question being asked over and over again. We're also getting tired of people asking "what's the best such and such?" Every time that question is asked, the answer is always the same......."it depends". Go try some stuff out. Go play with it. Go see what works for you. We're glad to help steer people away from crappy gear, but now there is so much decent gear out there for so many different purposes that you really have to try it out for yourself and see what you like.

When I was choosing mic pres I went with two channels of Pendulum Audio MDP-1a and two channels of Jahn Hardy M-2. I don't record hip hop or R&B, so I don't know if those choices would work for you or not. They'd probably work well, there great pres, albiet different from each other.

Yo Mr. Produca! I'm an "other". For clean, I like Avalon M5 ( I own the AD2022, which is basically 2 M5's- I'm a fan of stereo recording. I don't own *any* one channel preamps- you need 2 identical channels for overheads, anyway.) For color, I like Pendulum MDP-1. The Great River and the John Hardy are the only pres on your list that I would really like to own. The vipre is a good pre, but not one that I personally need.-Richie

in my opinion polls are pretty ineffective especially on this forum. Too many people voting for what they own without having tried many or ANY of the other choices. Better to get a written out explanation on why each person likes each item.

I voted for the John Hardy because I like to use dynamics a lot on vocals (among other things), and I just tend to like the way tranformer-balanced mic pres sound on dynamic mics, and Jensens are some of the best you can get a hold of.

Don't know why ... just seems to be something I've noticed.

Either way, any of the pres you listed will do the job. None of them are what I'd call "sucky" or anything. For colored, can't help ya. Try a magic marker or a box of crayons. I don't know what that word means to you. Too subjective of a term.

I voted other because I can only speak about my own clean/color combo which is....

Buzz Audio & Sebatron....... works really well for me.

I voted for the Portico because it is hyped to the max and no one has tried it yet. So, in keeping with the BBS tradition, it is a Neve and well worth the investment (I think, based on 5th hand information I heard from someone else).

For Hip Hop........Vintech 1272 (not on your list). I have said this time and time again...the Vintech and a NTK is a perfect combo. Avalon 737 and U195 has matched nice for R&B, gospel.

Peace Eddie

Back