It's been a while.....

the guitar sounds like a fiddle in a lot of places. ;)

If you haven't upgraded EZD to Superior 2.0, you're missing something awesome... I mention that because I'm starting to recognize the default EZ kit a lot. AND.. superior is... just superior, in many ways.

Wow - your vibrato on this is outstanding! Love the panning on the backing strings. Are you bypassing your mixer still? Some nice clarity and tone on the strings and the underlying backups. The lead really cuts through nice. It's a super recording - I don't think anything is amiss in the mix and anything different would be personal preference IMHO.

Dude first of all let me say that you have some great talent in the classical feel. I could hear this being in any great movie or anything. I have a reasonable love for classical. I learned to play violin to Bach and Beethoven with a few lessons I took and I'm nowhere near a pro and couldn't do anything near as good as this. But I think (and you can take this as you want, especially since I have no rep what so ever) that the drums, although being awesome, don't fit. And that is only because I don't usually hear drums in this type of music, but give me some examples and I will withdraw my statement. Is there something else other than that drum beat that you can put in there. Let me just say however, I think this is an awesome song, but that is all that is bothering me. Like I said, I am a newb and this is just my opinion. All the better, I love the song.

Trump

david,
It's GREAT to HEAR you again - though I do have your album to keep me warm through the winter nights!
Lovely arrangement.
The sleigh bell/tambourine/cymbal that's a near constant over on the side is a little indistinct (as in I couldn't hear it clearly enough to name it) and perhaps a little too loud.
Bass chugs along nicely.
Your touch with things string & synth is almost impeccable.
Good to hear your work again.

Beautiful piece of music. Excuse the silly question, is that your own composition or a remake? If it's the former, Wow. If not, damn fine job anyway.
The only thing that stuck out of the mix is the hihats, they're just so ordinary when everything else is exquisite. They just need some variation I think to make them less relentlessly inorganic

my god, such a beautiful piece of music!

what instruments are you playing on this? It's all played so well.

Oh wow. Completely out of season(!) but completely amazing!!! Does it even need the drums? Maybe swap the beat fro more cymbal wash.

Thanks for the comments. Sorry, I should have clarified that this is a cover of a well known christmas/winter song. Perhaps it's not as popular in the US, people in the UK would know it. It's from a cartoon called "The Snowman".

The drums are there primarily to mask. Without them, it sounds like one dude with a fiddle, synths and a lot of free time. I will see if I can acquire better samples or a human.

[video=youtube;<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/ubeVUnGQOIk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/ubeVUnGQOIk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>]video[/video]

Last edited:
Back