It's been a while, but........

Mountaineer

My wife and I did this one together. Had some fun with effects in the beginning . . . it sort of fit the mood. The song is called "Meandering Souls" and it's at Idrive ( they fixed the visiter problem ).
Visit "PAPicker" at idrive.com and look in the shared folder for "SoulsLoFi.MP3". The HiFi version has more bottom end, but it's like 11 Mb. Please let me know if you have any trouble with Idrive. I did a test download as a visitor to my own storage and everything worked for me.
As usual, feedback is much appreciated.

Regards,
PAPicker

Good song, really well presented, very dynamic.

Lyrics maybe a little too broad, know what I mean?

Vocals are nice, good harmony. Lead vocal gets a little tight on the high notes. I don't know if it's the room or your effects, but I thought there was too much echo on the vocals.

I would play with the lead guitar sound. I'm not going to describe this very well, but for this song I think something brighter and cleaner is more appropriate than the wide, processed sound you're using.

I have a T1 line and even the lofi download took some time. I don't know whether it's idrive or what, but I'm afraid that it's going to take someone with a modem a half hour or more.

I'm fishing for a way to describe what I don't like about the mix. Every comment I've run by my editorial board

(huh?)(..because there are no drivers on the top...)

seems to be more a comment on the arrangement or the tune itself, which is nice- just not my cup of tea.

Was it my imagination or was there tape hiss in that intro that faded out with the start of the tune? On purpose?

I liked that nice warm sound you were getting right at the beginning. It's like you sensed that this wouldn't hold the tune together for 5 minutes and added the electric part for some sort of development. As already mentioned, it wasn't heavy enough. This, more related to the tone than the mix.

And that tambourine was getting on my nerves. :)

And that sleighbell in the left channel at the end, while tied to the intro thematically didn't work for me sonically.
Perhaps the same sound moving across the stereo field. Yes.

LI Slim>

Lyrics maybe a little too broad, know what I mean?
Bold as in vague or bold as in liberal? I don't know . . . my lyrics support a personal belief and are presented in a metaphorical manner. Isn't that what song writing is all about? I agree that the guitars need some work across the board. Thanks for listening and the comments.

>drstawl

Was it my imagination or was there tape hiss in that intro that faded out with the start of the tune? On purpose?
Like a lot of things, the LoFi mp3 file didn't do much for the sonic nuances of this mix. What you hear is the sound of a river, birds, insects, etc... What is hard to hear with the LoFi is the individual paddle strokes that pan with the children's voices as the pass through the stereo field, etc. It's actually quite detailed.

It's like you sensed that this wouldn't hold the tune together for 5 minutes and added the electric part for some sort of development.
The electric guitars were all planned from the get-go . . . I just need to get better tones and more fullness out of em.

And that tambourine was getting on my nerves.
There is no tambourine in the song . . . I will either shit-can the sleigh bell or tone it down and pan it more toward center. Thanks for the critique.

Regards,
PAPicker

I liked it a lot...yeah the electrics could have a fuller tone, but it's not the end of the world.....lol I messed around with my bass/treble on these comp speakers and changed it some anyhow.....nice....gibs

"broad" not "bold"

I said that I thought that the lyrics were a little "broad", not a little "bold". I was afraid that this wouldn't be clear......

Presenting the lyrics, as you say, in a metaphorical manner is what I would encourage. At times the lyrics describe your feelings by stating the feelings rather than by using images or describing experiences that generate the feelings. (Hence, the lyric becomes "broad" as opposed to say, personal.) You are a poetic songwriter, so you want to peocize not preach.

You've done well with these lyrics -- I'm encouraging you to do a little more.

PAPICKER:
Nice acoustic tone recorded, mixed well.
I agree that there is too much reverb on the vocals,
and I thought that the vocals could've been attacked a little more agressively.
An enjoyable listen to a well-written tune.
DJ
Oh Yeah..Kill the sleigh bells!:-)

Gibs> As always, thanks for listening

Slim> I'm not that deep with my lyrics and I don't mean to preach . . . just trying to make a point.

DJ> Thanks, sleigh bell is history

Regards,
PAPicker

Back