its a G thing

gframe

im about to buy a macbook pro and run an interface more or less maxed out with inputs about 10 for recording, anyway will 4gb suffice or should i go for 8gb after affects later and whatnot i just want to know if the mac of 4gb can handle the recording first of all and all the mastering and crap like that too

please help !!! thanks

there is only ten inputs on that interface is what i meant. how solis is "should"?
thanks for replying anyway

I'm recording to a late 2008 aluminium Macbook, 4Gb Ram Dual core 2.4's and never had a problem with it. Runs my Verb and VST's no problem,

I'm running Cubase 4.5 Ai

If you're not running a 64 bit OS you wont benefit from anything > 4GB of RAM, so it's a safe bet. Audio isn't that demanding if you keep it simple. And anything not simple you can render out in post and just play the resultants, instead of trying to do all that processing in real time. If you only need 10 inputs then that's all you need. Until you need more. But unless you've got some large group or a drummer why would you? And if you do, you've probably outgrown "home" recording. But not all homes are created equal.

If you're not running a 64 bit OS you wont benefit from anything > 4GB of RAM, so it's a safe bet. Audio isn't that demanding if you keep it simple. And anything not simple you can render out in post and just play the resultants, instead of trying to do all that processing in real time. If you only need 10 inputs then that's all you need. Until you need more. But unless you've got some large group or a drummer why would you? And if you do, you've probably outgrown "home" recording. But not all homes are created equal.

well i will be using 8 mics for a full drum sound so could this be a problem?

well i will be using 8 mics for a full drum sound so could this be a problem?

It depends. As long as your interface has 8 inputs. And you have the needed parts. Mics + preamps + cables, I don't see why it would. Audio isn't quite like capturing HD video. But it can add up with track counts and sample rates.

Now if you want to do fancy stuff like mix those sounds (with a backing track / click track) and output that to the drummer while he's playing that can get a bit needy. A lot of interfaces (but not all) will have hardware mixers in the guts. This softens the resource load on the computer a lot. When sending tracks back out or just listening to your tracks without actually rendering them as a mixed track in software. Some buses like USB are not fast enough to do this kind of throughput. But firewire and PCI are fast enough in most cases. And in theory USB 3.0, but I don't know of any USB 3.0 audio interfaces yet. And it's still not a common feature on a lot of computers.

Back