issues w/sound

Big Aggy

My friend has been recording demos for a while, and I'm not sure if knows anything about recording or if he just sucks or if it's the hardware and software we're using. For vocals On the songs he's been recording we plug the mic straight into a tascam mixer then route that to his laptap via firewire and use presonus software to track, and for guitars he connects the head to the mixer and via firewire to the laptop. Here's the problem the guitar tracks sound really distortiony and staticy ( I realize it could be the settings on the head) and the vocals seem lifeless. They sound really bassy, weak, distant, and muffled. I'm thinking the mixer doesn't have a preamp built-n; a possibility? Then to add onto all of it, he double tracks the vocals to give the strength which makes them sound 10x worse because now they sound cheap. I don't understand why he doesn't increase the track volume and set a reverb effect or something? HELP PLEASE

Last edited:
Unless he is using some sort of cabinet emulator, the guitar will sound like trash. My suggestion, mic the guitar cabinet. It sounds like your pal needs to come here and spend some time reading up. :)

Cheers

Back