Issues using my Saffire 6 and Yamaha keyboard in Cubase

dukedudez

This question will probably be very confusing but here goes. So I have a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB interface that's connected to my pc which has Cubase 6 LE. I also have a Yamaha MX49 keyboard. Now the big question is what is the best way to record my keyboard to my pc?

That probably sounds simple, but it doesn't seem so to me. I have 2 options with the keyboard. I can plug it in directly to my PC via USB and it records MIDI and audio through the USB cable. I've done that. Or I can plug it in via MIDI cables to my saffire 6. Right now it seems the only option I have is to plug it in to my saffire 6 because I want to record two instruments/mics which can only be used by plugging them in the saffire 6. I don't think I can use the Yamaha MX49 USB to PC and the Saffire 6 at the same time because I have to choose one audio driver in Cubase. So it seems my only option is to plug my Yamaha MX49 into my saffire 6 via MIDI, plug in my two instruments/mics into my saffire 6, and then plug my saffire 6 into cubase and use it as the driver.

Here's the issues I'm having with the solution above.
1) The keyboard is laggy as crap when I use it as a MIDI track in cubase. It's kind of tough to explain but I have the input set as "All MIDI in" and my output as "Microsoft Wavetable" which leaves me unable to control the keyboard's sound. It just plays a laggy concert piano no matter what. When I change the output to "Yamaha MX49 (Saffire 6)" I get no sound but I'm able to see and change the sounds on my keyboard.
2) I can't record my keyboard as an audio device through these MIDI cables. Sure I can plug my keyboard into one of my inputs on the Saffire 6 via an instrument cable, but then I lose one of my instruments/mics and I can't record the piano stereo sound (for some electric pianos and stuff).

Anyway I'm confused and frustrated and I know I'm making this harder than it really is. Please help me if you can. I can provide pictures or better explanations if need be. I know it sounds really confusing.

Perhaps you could listen to the audio output of the keyboard while tracking the MIDI output. You might need some external device to mix the output of the interface (with the two live inputs and anything else previously tracked) and the output of the keyboard. I bet a Behringer HA4700 would do it.

Back