Issue with speakers

urobolusmusic

Hi there,

I own a pair of Klipsch 2.1 computer speakers that I use for general computer use and playback (for the time being). The other morning I woke up and went into “my” room and notice that unique smell of burnt electronics. I noticed the green light that is always on, on these speakers was off, so I unplugged them for a little while and made sure the power switch was off. I came back a little while later, plugged them back in, and switched the power on and nothing. The speakers popped, and then you could hear a “click” deep within the subwoofer like something was switching off.

Any idea what the problem is? Does it sound like these things are just fried, or is it something a simple as a new fuse?

The speakers are on the same power strip as the rest of my computer, so it seems like if there was a surge, everything else probably would have fried too. I always leave the speakers on because the power switch is in a really inconvenient place on the back of the subwoofer. I’m not too familiar with electronics and their components, but I want to say it is just the fuse as I had a set of Klipsch 5.1’s that the fuse went out in after about the same amount of time, but I don’t recall it ever smelling like burnt electronics when it did.

Thanks for the help!

Uro

Usually, if it's a fuse....there isn't the oh-so-familiar smell of fried electronics.

I'd say they're toast. You could always pop one open to check it out. It's not like you could fry anything. :D

Luck man.........

That's lame... :(

Anything I should be looking for in particular? Just discolored and burnt looking electronics?

Thanks for the reply,

Uro

Obviously, first change the fuse and see if the system works. What is the power supply on this setup - built in, or external transformer?
Is the amplifier in one speaker (or one speaker and the sub) and the other plugs into it? Try the unpowered speaker on a different system, see if its working. Do the same for the sub.

Back