Isolation Question

jonmmartin

I'm trying to improve isolation when using 2 mics to record acoustic guitar and vocals at the same time. I have seen the foam things you put on the mics from Auralex...does anyone have experience with these, do the help or not worth the money? Any other ideas?
Thanks.

Those foam things won't help, they are meant more for popping/essing into the vocal mic.

Your best bet will be to focus on mic positioning.

Two figure 8 mics is what would do the trick. Through positioning you can get the mics null points aimed at the stuff you don't want.

Track Rat said:
Two figure 8 mics is what would do the trick. Through positioning you can get the mics null points aimed at the stuff you don't want.

bingo. as yoda said, "to track rat you listen!'

outside of 2x figure 8's with the nulls properly located, you're going to be fighting "bleed".

likewise, if you can get good mic positioning so that the bleed sounds good and works well with the recording, you can live with the bleed. i'm of the opinion that a little bleed is a good thing and can really help "open up" a recording.

cheers,
wade

You could also simply record the Guitar and Vocals seperately or if the Singer and Guitarist are 2 different poeple then you can try recording them in different Rooms but at the same time.....

Just a Thought!

mrface2112 said:
bingo. as yoda said, "to track rat you listen!'

outside of 2x figure 8's with the nulls properly located, you're going to be fighting "bleed".

likewise, if you can get good mic positioning so that the bleed sounds good and works well with the recording, you can live with the bleed. i'm of the opinion that a little bleed is a good thing and can really help "open up" a recording.

cheers,
wade

Agreed and agreed. Don't fight the bleed, go with the flow. I'm assuming this is a solo guitarist/vocalist. Two hyper-cardiods pointed appropriately would be the next stop after the figure 8's, but you probably don't have those either, so assuming two cardiod pattern mics, just point them enough away from each other to minimize bleed, but not so much as to give up too much to off axis coloration. Better to have two good sounds bleed into each other than two isolated but poor sounding tracks.

Back