Isolation Pads

StarMan

Just want to share a tip here, I know you can get MoPAD Monitor Isolation Pads, but placing two mouse pads under each speaker will achieve a similar effect.

Love all the new tips everyone has started giving ;)
So you're saying the fact that the MoPad is many times thicker than an avergae mouse pad doesn't really matter?

Love all the new tips everyone has started giving ;)
So you're saying the fact that the MoPad is many times thicker than an avergae mouse pad doesn't really matter?

Not at all, just offering tip for an alternative way and for experimenting. Its all about trying different things to achieve a similar result.

I find the thickness is better, but in a pinch, mouse pads are better than nothing. It also depends on how much the surface the monitors are placed on is resonating to begin with. Cinder block monitor stands (like mine) are not going to resonate, where as a wood desk surely would.

I find typical packing foam works just as well for decoupling. Like the black stuff you find in instrument or mic cases. A buddy of mine gave me 3/4" sheets of the stuff. What I really like about my Mopads is the ability to angle the monitors down to my listening position. Oh, and they look cool. :D

A mouse pad might well be a good idea, as might packing foam. It all depends on how heavy something needs to be to partially compress your isolating material, and whether your monitor is both heavy enough to partially compress the isolating material whilst being light enough not to compress it completely.

Let me explain it another way. If you use packing foam underneath a studio to float the floor, the foam would be completely crushed under the weight and so there would be no acoustic isolation. Alternatively, if you used the suspension from a car and put your monitor on it, the spring wouldn't even start to compress as it is designed to compress under a much heavier load, so it aso would not provide any acoustic isolation.

Why not just suspend the speakers from the ceiling?
Now there is a nice little project to work on for some young go getter!

They would swing about due to the speaker cone action when passing audio....but I know you are only kiddingl. :D

I think one of the "selling" points of the MoPads is that they don't flex with heavy low-end signal...so the low-end doesn't get smeared.

I use a foam/marble/foam sandwich. The foam is real dense memory foam (it's from a camping bed roll pad...you could find them at any sporting goods store), and I had 1.5" thick white marble cut to the exact size of the monitor cab base (got the marble for free)...then I put down one leayer of ther foam, the marble block, and then another layer of foam...and then the speaker on top of that. There is ZERO transmission through that sandwich.

Yeah :p just playing around with the hurricane/tropical storm here and all not much else to do ..... even less if we lose power! :eek:

I've got my house generator going (15kW Generac :) )...power went out about 5AM, might not get it back until tonight or even tomorrow.

NY - Hudson Valley.

Hell...it's a nice sunny day right now...but no power.

Last edited:
Back