Isolation box for mic'ing a cab?

flamin-gitaur

Is there a optimal size that works best when using isolation boxes. I realize that the box needs to fit around the speaker and have room for the mic (obviously), but, is it better to have as much volume (space) as possible within the box or is it better to keep it small?

you would want to have some kind of air for the mic to breathe in so it sounds nice and spacey on the recording.
you don't want small and cramped.

gcapel said:
The soul purpose is to get ride of reflections of sound coming from anything but the source.
On the contrary, many people see them as a means to minimize volume in a room while retaining the tone of a speaker at high volume levels. It's more like a box to keep sound from getting out rather than keep outside noise from getting in. Of course it can't do one of those without doing the other. The space inside the box should be designed to keep all the reflections in the box from muddying up the tone. Thus, the need for a somewhat larger space. I'm not talking about anything bigger than a 3' X 3' X 4'. Make it sturdy enough and it could double as a seating area in a studio space. Still, to each, their own.

chris-from-ky said:
On the contrary, many people see them as a means to minimize volume in a room while retaining the tone of a speaker at high volume levels. It's more like a box to keep sound from getting out rather than keep outside noise from getting in. Of course it can't do one of those without doing the other. The space inside the box should be designed to keep all the reflections in the box from muddying up the tone. Thus, the need for a somewhat larger space. I'm not talking about anything bigger than a 3' X 3' X 4'. Make it sturdy enough and it could double as a seating area in a studio space. Still, to each, their own.

Ah.. I totally get your point. In that case wa yeah! For a live type recording where you could record drums and guitar simutaniously in the same room and have isolation between the two.

So yes I would suddgest covering the entire amp and mass the walls by doubling the wood with space between and insulating the space. I would also make a floor for it as well. I would use a a rubber gasket material between the floor and the box covering and a latching system. Soundproofing is a beeiotch. If there were a closet near by I would shove it in there too. You may also think about velcroing the the mic stand bottom to the iso box floor. It would suck to find your sweet spot then the mic falls over.. :(

I'd suggest that you try not to place a whole amp in isolation. I'd suggest putting only the speaker(s) and mics in isolation. Amps (esp. tube) make way too much heat to be locked up air tight. Can you say thermal meltdown!!

I'm considering making an iso box. I'll let you know how it turns out if I do. It may be a while though. I need some tools first. :D

chris-from-ky said:
I'd suggest that you try not to place a whole amp in isolation. I'd suggest putting only the speaker(s) and mics in isolation. Amps (esp. tube) make way too much heat to be locked up air tight. Can you say thermal meltdown!!

I'm considering making an iso box. I'll let you know how it turns out if I do. It may be a while though. I need some tools first. :D

Thats how I plan on doing it. Probably just one speaker on my 4x12.

Make sure you plan on doing a box-within-a-box for any real isloation, with serious seperations between the boxes. low frequency moves right through just about anything that is one layer think, especially if you have direct contact between speakers and mounts and the box iteself.

Daav

I basically am just trying to remove the "room" sound. I am not recording a full band or anything like that, just guitar, so I won't have any other instruments bleeding over.

Yeah, Here's my thoughts from the outside in:

3/4" plywood exterior
1" sheetrock
2" 703
3/4" plywood (isolated from 703 via neooprene pucks)
1/2" sheetrock
3" 703
Inside air space (8000+ cubic inches in front of speaker and 3000+ behind it.)

Also the speaker will be isolated from the inner box via neoprene pucks.

It may weigh a ton when I get done but, that's what casters are for.

This makes me wish I was at home depot...

instead of building a box, i used my closet. My recording room has a large closet with sliding doors, and was large enough to put my amp in there, as well as mic it. so i went to home depot, bought ALOT of thick carpeting, and carpeted the entire inside (floors, walls, ceiling, inside of doors...etc) of the closet.

now, i just plug in my amp, close the closet doors......and away we go! instant isolation box!

its not as "super sound proof" as a real iso box, but it cuts down on the volume greatly............. ;)

chris-from-ky said:

3/4" plywood exterior
1" sheetrock
2" 703
1/2" sheetrock
3" 703

This makes me wish I was at home depot...[/QUOTE

Do I need to hire a contractor? And BTW, there has to be a brick wall in there somewhere.....right? :D :p

chris-from-ky said:

3/4" plywood exterior
1" sheetrock
2" 703
1/2" sheetrock
3" 703

This makes me wish I was at home depot...

Do you need to hire a contractor? And BTW, there has to be a brick wall in there somewhere.....right? :D :p

Back