Isolating windows in a normal room

Puska

Hello mates.

I'm going to use part of the brick house and make it a room to practice singing and voices in general. The room faces the street where there are cars, people and various sounds.
The room has two large windows with single glazing. I have no plans to replace the windows, just insulate them. It is only the windows that I want to insulate. Not floors, ceilings or walls...

Now I want to take the opportunity to ask you if anyone has experience of how to easily insulate windows in a room.They don't have to be perfectly insulated, but as good as possible.

I am grateful for any tips on financial materials that one can use?
Thanks,

Here in the States, I have that very similar situation which has been resolved with Rockwool Safe'n'Sound insulation. It's a great sound insulator, also works very well for making bass traps (BOGOs) in studios. There are other manufacturers of similar products inside and outside the States. I get it here in a bundle of 60 sq. ft. for about $75. Comes in 12 sections of 15.25-in x 47-in x 3-in.

My bedroom studio has one single-pane window very close to a large divided highway - about 50 ft. distant. The Rockwool eliminates all noise from normal traffic and (I'd say) 98% from police and fire emergency vehicles, of which there is a constant stream as our major hospital is nearby.

My window is 35-in x 58-in. I used Rockwool 3-inches thick and constructed a single layer 40-in x 60-in x 3-in which I then wrapped in cotton (old bed sheet). I stuff the Rockwool into the window opening - being larger, tension holds it in place.

Works great for blocking nearly all sound from getting into the room. This also blocks all outside light. This is the only window so I have to use indoor lighting when covered.

Last edited:
Same here.

I cut a piece of half inch plywood to fit the window recess.

Glued on two sheets of 2 inch thick rock wool.

Covered it in cloth. It’s a nice tight fit in the window frame.

I can now play a Marshall at levels where it’s in the sweet spot without pissing off the neighborhood.

The other thing would be to build in a decorative solid timber frame, and have it in two piece that you could sandwich a double glazed panel in. These can often be got cheap or free from double glazing companies. If you can find glass in their scrap collection that will fit in the hole, build some frames and then with some simple wing nuts you can trap the glass and have decent sound proofing figures and light.

In one studio we used some secondary glazing kits that we bought from a DIY store. Fortunately the outer windows were double glazed and there was a one foot gap between the outer windows and the secondary glazing so it was very effective. The kit also allowed the windows to open when we weren't making too much noise.

In other cases I've just made an inner window frame and used a fixed piece of 4mm or 6mm glass.

Thank you for your answers. They are all very informative. I want to ask you anyone would like to post a picture of the result what you been creating?

Back