Isolating MIDI drum tracks

incursio

Hi gang - MIDI newbie here. This may be a general MIDI question here, but I'll ask it specifically on the off-chance that someone has done this with similar gear.

I have a Yamaha DTX electronic drum kit hooked up to my PC via MIDI. I can record via a single MIDI channel with no problems, via Cubase or whatever. What I'd *love* to be able to do, however, is to "split" the drums up, recording, say all the high-hat stuff on one channel, the snare on another, the kick on another, the cymbals on another, etc. The only thing I am using MIDI for right now is my drum stuff - feeding all of this data into a multitrack recorder with vocals, non-MIDI guitar, etc.

Can this be done using MIDI?

Cheers.
Scott

Not a problem. What you need to do is filter the recorded events using the pitch parameter.
In a MIDI drumset each individual sound is addressed by the pitch stored with that event.
Then paste the filtered selection onto a blank track. Rinse and repeat. The sounds will all be in their correct place, timewise since that information is stored separately with each MIDI event.

Hey hey

Greetings,

isn't there an easier way to do that?

i don't know much about it, but isn't there also a "drum" midi track on alot of programs that isolates the individuals componants...wait...i confused myself now..

sirriff

In Cakewalk/SONAR there's a macro language called CAL, and one of the ones that comes along with the package is a routine called "Split Notes to Tracks" that does thi safter the fact -- that is, you record your single track, then run this routine on it to break it up into individual tracks.

Depending on your drum machine's capabilities you might also be able to send each part of the kit on a different MIDI channel. Then you could record separate tracks right up front.

Back