Iso booth/ room divider

Dan Merrill

was poking around a studio on music row in nashville last week and saw these simple gobos. Liked the window idea.

Attachments

• gobo1.jpg
    gobo1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 318
do you know what material they are using (other than the wood) for sound isolation. i see the dark grey but i can't tell if it's foam or fiber or what.

i'm in the process of trying to find some land to build a new house on, and the new house will have a sunroom that is 20' x 15'. i'm going to use the basement section under the sunroom for the studio.

right now my studio is confined to a 12 x 10 room, so the extra 40 cubic feet will be nice. rather than splitting the room up into tiny pieces, I could use Gobos when i want a really room-acoustics-minimized vocal or acoustic guitar recording.

crosstudio,
Where are you looking to build? By the way, you will be picking up an additional 180 s.f. in your new studio.

bd

40 cubic feet? what was i thinking about?

oh, i know what i did wrong.

20 x 15 = 300 square feet.
12 x 10 = 120 square feet.
===================
difference = 180 square feet... sweet!!!

2700 cubic feet (new room - 9' ceiling)
960 cubic feet (old room - 8' ceiling)
====
1740 additional cubic feet... awesome!!!

i'm mostly looking in bowie. my parents and in-laws would be no more than 10 minutes from me if i move.

there's a development called woodmore where some of the most wealthy black folks in Maryland live. The development I'm looking at is just outside woodmore.

Okay, I have taken those pictures on the first reply of this thread into consideration. Scroll up and click on the link!! Anyways, since my two walls that I am making need to be transportable, because I am going to move them out of the way when not being used, I am thinking of using that idea. Except, I am going to run plexiglass in between the wood and the studio foam to allow for maximum sound isolation. So those windows will still have glass in them, but the glass will expand to the exact shape of the two walls!!

What do you think??

Chris

The dark stuff is cloth over what i thought to be about 1" fiberboard ( on each side of the gobo ). The whole unit was about 6" deep.

They obviously are not for total isolation, but if you're recording a whole band you can put a acoustic guitar behind one for some extra separation, and maybe a scratch vocal behind another one, ect..

Back