is youtube effective for marketing?

gullyjewelz

I have just put up a new video of a performance and obviously I would love folk to check it out . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAQvc4IWd_g&rel=0

But more importantly, is youtube seen as a good method or vehicle for marketing and promoting or is it just simply another way to make yourself accessbile . .like facebook and myspace . .. but not a "driving" force to cd sales?

I have just put up a new video of a performance and obviously I would love folk to check it out . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAQvc4IWd_g&rel=0

But more importantly, is youtube seen as a good method or vehicle for marketing and promoting or is it just simply another way to make yourself accessbile . .like facebook and myspace . .. but not a "driving" force to cd sales?

Youtube is great for potentially small ego boosts and meaningless "views/clicks", just like any other useless social networking site. :o

Yes, absolutely. I know people who without YouTube wouldn't have 1/2 of their current fans and CD sales. Make all types of videos, videos of you performing, studio videos, gear videos, and even videos unrelated to music. The more your fans get to know you, the more they will want to support you. Load up your videos with tags too (relevant to the topic of the video, of course) that explain about what kind of music you make, what you talked about in the video, etc. That way your videos will be more likely to show up in a related videos column or in searches and you will get more exposure. And also, produce your videos as you would a song that's going to be on your album; take care in editing and filming so you can make it pleasing for the viewer to see.

I don't think Youtube is good for getting your name out there. You still need to drive people to your youtube page, just like facebook, myspace, CDBaby, etc... Too many fishies in the pond to get a notice. I think the best way is to keep giggin' just like you're doing.

peace,

Yeah, despite the internet revolution, I think playing shows is the best thing you can do. YouTube should just be for stuff you can show people if they ask

You still have to market your YouTube to get people there. It's a good way to distribute content and keep people coming back to your band, but in a vacuum, it's useless.

On the flip side, I'd say having at least a basic YouTube is a necessity these days. If a band is coming to town that I might be interested in seeing, the first thing I'm going to do is check YouTube for footage of their shows. Get some really solid videos of your live show up on YT stat!

+1

Youtube isn't marketing, it's access. You need to do the marketing to let people know you are on youtube.

Marketing is about getting people to notice you, if they don't know who you are, they aren't going to search for you on Youtube.

Youtube is good for having a place for your content to be seen. If your marketing gets people interested in you and you can't provide them with content to keep their attention, you have just wasted your marketing efforts. That's what youtube is good for.

My friend, Dann Dunn, started doing "paint jams". His daughter posted a clip of his show on Youtube, sent links to her school buddies, and it went viral. Within two days, he gets a call from a very famous talent agency offering to book him. That's not the norm, but if your vid is something that is interesting to people, it could help.

Youtube is great but I think it's 99% good looks and 1% talent nowadays that'll get you noticed. Actually it's been that way for a while...

Youtube is great but I think it's 99% good looks and 1% talent nowadays that'll get you noticed. Actually it's been that way for a while...
It's always talent that gets you through, it just doesn't necessarily have to be musical talent.

David Lee Roth can't actually sing, but he had a personality that came through that happened to connect with people. Same with Mick Jagger and probably 20 other iconic "singers" we can all name off the top of our head.

Some people get by because they know how to promote something. It wouldn't matter what they were trying to sell, they would be successful at it...

Some people get by because they know how to promote something. It wouldn't matter what they were trying to sell, they would be successful at it...
thats the people i need to meet RIGHT NOW!!!!
THIS IS EVER SO TRUE. WITHOUT THIS PERSON in your camp, success is one hell of an incline!

Do your gigs and point fans to your youtube page. This builds proof for A&Rs to see that you have a fan base or at least folks are checking you out. The more people who see you the more chances they may know someone who may be able to get you closer to your goals musically.

It's always talent that gets you through, it just doesn't necessarily have to be musical talent.

David Lee Roth can't actually sing, but he had a personality that came through that happened to connect with people. Same with Mick Jagger and probably 20 other iconic "singers" we can all name off the top of our head.

I would contend that both Mick Jagger and Dave Lee Roth are excellent singers...they have perfect voices for the types of music they sing. Jagger made it also because he and Keith Richards are both excellent songwriters.
Bottom line yes Youtube has its uses just like any other social networking tool.

I would contend that both Mick Jagger and Dave Lee Roth are excellent singers...they have perfect voices for the types of music they sing.
No, they are great vocalists, neither one of them actually sing. It's possible to be one without the other.

well justine biebier was sported from youtube meaning the more u present your self the more u will gain from the traffic on youtube

I agree Justine Bieber has done very well through YouTube, attracting the right crowd to his musi.....um stuff...namely 13 year old girls.
Of course he is now making a fortune raking in well over $300,000 per night, so yes you could say YouTube has been good to him.

Back