Is USB 1.0 still sufficient?

jb2004

I'm thinking of upgrading to an external soundcard for recording, and I was looking at both the Tascam US-122 and the M-Audio mobile pre. I noticed that they are both USB 1.0. I guess the USB 1.0 has to be sufficient, or nobody would buy these things, but is at risk of becoming obsolete any time soon? I've never recorded via USB, so I'm a little leery of these products.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

i think under the right circumstances, USB 1.0 and the likes of the tascam US-122 can be an ideal solution. I love my US-122 cause it has a lot of useful features, is stable, and is super portable. I would not recommend trying to record any more than 2 tracks at at time at 48/24 with USB 1.0. But if you only wanna record 1 or 2 tracs, the us-122 is great. It has good drvers as well IMO, i get good latency with the asio and wdm drivers.

The only problem i had with the unit was that it have some attitude with my Nforce 3 chipset, specifically the network adaptor. In my dual boot setup, i have my networking disabled so this is not a concern to me.

Thanks for the advice. I think I might end up with the M Audio mobile pre, because I'm on a pretty tight budget. I'll likely only ever be recording 2 tracks max. at once, so that shouldn't be a problem. My main concern is with latency. As long as I can record with zero (or very near-zero) latency, I'll be happy.

Thanks again

oh ok

With 1 or 2 tracks, USB 1 will give you enough bandwidth to get things done. your latency is gonna depend largley on the quality of the drivers (as well as other factors of course). I think m-audio makes decent drivers although i have never tried them myself.

jb2004 said:
Thanks for the advice. I think I might end up with the M Audio mobile pre, because I'm on a pretty tight budget. I'll likely only ever be recording 2 tracks max. at once, so that shouldn't be a problem. My main concern is with latency. As long as I can record with zero (or very near-zero) latency, I'll be happy.

Thanks again

M-Audio USB sound cards have always had a bad reputation (the Quattro in particular). If you are not using a laptop, stick with a PCI interface. If you are using a laptop, go with either a PC-Card or Firewire interface.

spend the extra 50 bucks and get the us-122..its well worth it..especially if your doing direct guitars or bass.
I owned the mobile pre and it was god awfull noisy for doing anything direct....i returned the mobile pre and got the tascam us-122...no noise no nothing!
It's a perfect little unit for 50 dollars more!

I actually like the US 122 better, because it also has the MIDI ports. Maybe I'll have to reconsider my decisions..... which were primarily based on money.

Thanks for all the input.

Back