is Upgrading Interfaces real?

CoolCat

I know years ago I tried various interfaces and I didnt really hear anything spectacular from my old 2009-10 interface was fine, 24/44..48..96 (which is in 24/44. 99% of the time) The preamps across them didnt sound noticeably different. My USB 2.0 sounds and works well on the "old one" too.

So now years gone by again and I was watching Interface shootout on MOTU, APOLLO, Focusrite 18i20.....and I tried the Behringer 8 ch also, and had the Tascam 8 ch too...but they were ALL fully able to record to my Reaper and none really jumped out as anything sonically special in comparison to my 2009-2010 old interface. I was kind of let down there wasnt any wow! huge upgrade vibe!

I grabbed another new one recently, a small 2 ch and it is all really well done and great fun and new but pulling out the old one again, for its 8 channels to compare some outboard gear, and it sounds and works just as good as my 2021 unit really. Its obsolete and can be had for $179 etc... the old one has a better Headphone amp and other things too. So again, the upgrade is kind of hmmm?

Just weird, all this gear keeps coming out and the years pass by but the old gear seems to work and sound 100% equally as well, imo.
Maybe interfaces are like old guitar amps and anything else, microphones, guitars..... ?
Am I just stating the obvious? lol

This would be a nice upgrade if the sales hype is to be believed. It's got some nice pre-amp action going on, which seems to be the main upgrade feature. About twice the price of many good interfaces it's size. Is the UA 610 Tube Pre-amp emulation worth the extra dollars? Probably have to hear it at home to call that one.

Here it is again at the top of this 2022 list :

Back