Is this room useable for mixing?

HollowMan1975

Here is the layout of the room in my house I currently use as "the music room":

room_before.jpg

After reading Ethan Winer's website and thinking about reflections and interference, I see I'm up against a number of challenges regarding the shape of the room (almost exactly the dreaded even multiple of LxWxH), the open wall, and the computer system and studio monitors (new KRK RP8's) shoved into the corner.

This is pretty much the only room I have for my hobby, so I'm stuck with what I got. Below is what I think I could do to the room to improve things a little (the grey rectangles on the wall and the translucent one on the ceiling are approximations of where I would put foam or something similar to stop the first reflections):

room_after.jpg

I have access to the bumpy black foam they use in the lids of Pelican cases. It is 1.5" thick about about $40 CDN per 60"x80" sheet. But I'm unsure of it's acoustic properties. I couldn't find any of the insulating materials noted on Mr. Winer's website at my local Home Depot.

My questions are:

1) Is 'acoustic foam' any different from the foam you often find in the lids of cases used to haul around electronic equipment? Do I just glue it to something thin and hang it on the wall like pictures?

2) Do I have much to worry about in the way of the large window with the vertical blinds or the large opening in the wall adjacent to it?

3) Where would I put bass traps in this room?

4) Is this room a nightmare and I should just resign myself and my band to the cold cold reality that if I do the mixes at home, they're going to sound like "I did this at home!" ?

Last edited:
HollowMan1975 said:
1) Is 'acoustic foam' any different from the foam you often find in the lids of cases used to haul around electronic equipment? Do I just glue it to something thin and hang it on the wall like picture
Who knows...
HollowMan1975 said:
2) Do I have much to worry about in the way of the large window with the vertical blinds or the large opening in the wall adjacent to it?
Yes, you want to cover the back wall in acoustic treatment so i'd at least hang a heavy curtain with lots of large folds. Try and have it out a bit from the window, even keeping the blinds behind(the further from a solid surface an absorbant material is, the more lower frequency absorbtion it has).
HollowMan1975 said:
3) Where would I put bass traps in this room?
The corners
HollowMan1975 said:
4) Is this room a nightmare and I should just resign myself and my band to the cold cold reality that if I do the mixes at home, they're going to sound like "I did this at home!" ?
No, almost any space can be used with the right treatment, in my opinion.
I'd also install a thick double door in the opening for isolation and so as to not screw with the acoustics.

Attachments

• hollowman room setup.JPG
    hollowman room setup.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Forgot to say. Don't get acoustic foam. You get much better results, with less of a fire hazard, for cheaper from rigid fiberglass. Do a search of these forums, especially the building, and you'll find info on it/how to build them.

> Who knows... <

I know! (Raising hand wildly yelling "teacher, teacher..."

Packing foam is not the same as acoustic foam. Packing foam is closed cell, and acoustic foam is open cell. The latter has pores and fissures that go deep into the material. But as was already explained, rigid fiberglass is usually a better choice than foam.

--Ethan

Wow, thank you pandamonk, that was really helpful! I think the room would look better with curtains and a couple doors in the opening anyways.

It's looks very do-able now, and I appreciate the fact that you took the time to add to my drawing.

Ethan Winer said:
> Who knows... <

I know! (Raising hand wildly yelling "teacher, teacher..."

Packing foam is not the same as acoustic foam. Packing foam is closed cell, and acoustic foam is open cell. The latter has pores and fissures that go deep into the material. But as was already explained, rigid fiberglass is usually a better choice than foam.

--Ethan

Hi Ethan,

The foam I can get here through work looks like this. It's open cell foam but not very thick. I think they measure it from the flat backing to the top of the ridges, so it's considerably thinner (< half, probably) in between the bumps.

In any case I will go back and do some searching through the forums and back on your website on how to put the rigid fibreglass to good use. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• DSC06070_.jpg
    DSC06070_.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 107
HollowMan1975 said:
Wow, thank you pandamonk, that was really helpful! I think the room would look better with curtains and a couple doors in the opening anyways.

It's looks very do-able now, and I appreciate the fact that you took the time to add to my drawing.
No probs. Any more questions, give me a shout. I'll advise on anything in the studio, even if i don't know, it'll try and find out for you.

HollowMan1975 said:
Hi Ethan,

The foam I can get here through work looks like this. It's open cell foam but not very thick. I think they measure it from the flat backing to the top of the ridges, so it's considerably thinner (< half, probably) in between the bumps.

In any case I will go back and do some searching through the forums and back on your website on how to put the rigid fibreglass to good use. Thank you for your help.

DO NOT USE THIS... Think GREAT WHITE. I would save up some oney and get some rigid fiberglass.

Check out Ethan's site a bit more. I wouldn't put your desk up against the wall. I can't remember the formula, but you want your listening position to be about 30% of the way back into the room.

pdadda said:
Check out Ethan's site a bit more. I wouldn't put your desk up against the wall. I can't remember the formula, but you want your listening position to be about 30% of the way back into the room.

Thank you. Yes, I think this is what pandamonk had in mind on his version of the room.

HollowMan1975 said:
Thank you. Yes, I think this is what pandamonk had in mind on his version of the room.
Yeh, and also so a lot of the bass frequencies produced from the back of the speaker are absorbed by the bass traps, stopping them bouncing round the rooms and causing problems.

Back