Is this right

tewfus

I was having some PC issues and was surfing the web for some troubleshooting tips when i came across this tip to improve your machine's performance:
"Processor scheduling should be set to background services and not Programs
Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance Settings > Advanced Tab > Background Services"

Is that right? It seems more logical to me that you would want it the other way. If this is right can someone explaining the logic to me cause i'm missing something.

I was having some PC issues and was surfing the web for some troubleshooting tips when i came across this tip to improve your machine's performance:
"Processor scheduling should be set to background services and not Programs
Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance Settings > Advanced Tab > Background Services"

Is that right? It seems more logical to me that you would want it the other way. If this is right can someone explaining the logic to me cause i'm missing something.
I've highlighted the part of your post I am addressing. In general, you're absolutely correct, you want the processor scheduling to be set to Programs on your typical PC. Servers on the other hand are normally the other way around, as most tasks that run on servers are background tasks.

However, with Audio as well as Video editing applications, the majority of the stuff happens in the background, i.e. the vast majority of processor intensive tasks are not dependent on the User Interface. They have to be able to control routing audio from your interface to the PCI bus, to memory to CPU and then back for example. Any FX (including compression, EQ) processing is background tasks (except for the controls on the UI, which realistically doesn't take much of processing power).

Because of this, generally, you will get improved performance by setting the processor scheduling to background tasks.

However, make sure you have Memory Usage set to Programs as opposed to System Cache.

I've highlighted the part of your post I am addressing. In general, you're absolutely correct, you want the processor scheduling to be set to Programs on your typical PC. Servers on the other hand are normally the other way around, as most tasks that run on servers are background tasks.

However, with Audio as well as Video editing applications, the majority of the stuff happens in the background, i.e. the vast majority of processor intensive tasks are not dependent on the User Interface. They have to be able to control routing audio from your interface to the PCI bus, to memory to CPU and then back for example. Any FX (including compression, EQ) processing is background tasks (except for the controls on the UI, which realistically doesn't take much of processing power).

Because of this, generally, you will get improved performance by setting the processor scheduling to background tasks.

However, make sure you have Memory Usage set to Programs as opposed to System Cache.

Well. I learned something new today. :)

Thanks.

Back