Is this ready for adding vocals?

Daniel | Davis

http://tindeck.com/listen/exga

Drums - Addictive Drums sent to multi-channel and converted to audio
Guitars - Single condenser, MXL993 pointed at 12th fret of an Ovation celebrity
Bass direct with slight compression from an old DigiTech pedal to round out some edges
Piano - Casio Privia stereo direct

CPU Specs: Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - OSX 10.4.11 - 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

All into a Firepod and straight to Logic Express. No plugins, EQ, compression, nothing yet. Just some tweaking with panning and levels.

What do you think? Should I start adding the vocal tracks at this stage or should I start carving some EQ? What would be the next step you'd take in this situation?

edit: just tried some EQ. let's see if this made any difference:
http://tindeck.com/listen/idti

Last edited:
I usually add the vocals at the stage of recording, so you could add them when you like, there's no special point. Remember that when you add the vocals, you'll have to EQ some instruments to give them space.

Sounds very good.

Sounds very good. I would add vocals at this point so you will know what to cut. You'll have to ride the fader a bit on that runaway kick or it will be a vampire. Nice tone on the Ovation. I'm surprised at the bottom you got on it at the 12th fret. I usually put one on the 10th and one at the bell.

Nice composition. Fish around for some real drums and you'll have a winner.

Wig:)

yeah man sounds good.depending on the sound you want for the song i personally would eq that bass drum a bit different but thats just me. high pass at maybe 100hz and a little boost at 2 or 3 k. but all in all you have a really solid foundation here. you might find after you record the vox the guitar might be a little hot. and the cymbals might get lost in the mix. 5 stars man, keep it up :)

I usually add the vocals at the stage of recording, so you could add them when you like, there's no special point. Remember that when you add the vocals, you'll have to EQ some instruments to give them space.

Sounds very good.

Thanks! That's a very good point about re-EQing after vocals. I'll have to see where my voice likes to reside to notch it out!

Sounds very good. I would add vocals at this point so you will know what to cut. You'll have to ride the fader a bit on that runaway kick or it will be a vampire. Nice tone on the Ovation. I'm surprised at the bottom you got on it at the 12th fret. I usually put one on the 10th and one at the bell.

Nice composition. Fish around for some real drums and you'll have a winner.

Wig:)

Thanks man. The Ovation's surprisingly pretty full sounding for a little shallowbody. Maybe one day real drums will be a reality someday! ;)

yeah man sounds good.depending on the sound you want for the song i personally would eq that bass drum a bit different but thats just me. high pass at maybe 100hz and a little boost at 2 or 3 k. but all in all you have a really solid foundation here. you might find after you record the vox the guitar might be a little hot. and the cymbals might get lost in the mix. 5 stars man, keep it up :)

Thank you so much! You guys are definitely right-the kick's been giving me the biggest trouble so far. Although, I've been predominantly focusing on getting a prominent piano sound to not blend in too much with the guitars. I like how it pops out from the side in the future-Pre Chorus. I'll definitely try some of those techniques and repost after tracking some vocals :)

Last edited:
I think people get tired of reading my posts sometimes because I usually say the drums are not clear enough. This time is no different. However, I think the kick is fine in this stage of the tracking. The other guys are right when they tell you that you will need to eq things when you lay down the vocals.

I think people get tired of reading my posts sometimes because I usually say the drums are not clear enough. This time is no different. However, I think the kick is fine in this stage of the tracking. The other guys are right when they tell you that you will need to eq things when you lay down the vocals.

Hell, I won't ever get tired of hearing the truth, sir! :cool:
I'll clean up some stuff to the best of my ability and see if I can clean up the mud.

Back