Is this possible?

eternalmuzik

Hey guys, I used to be an avid reader of these forums and I recently and getting back in the mix.

Theres a local punk rock band that needs some1 to record a little demo for them.

I have:
Tascam 4-Track Cassette Recorder
Behringer 16-track mixer
Sm-57(with stand & pop filter)(and assortment of other cheaper mics)
guitars & amps
bass
drums
2 Keyboards

I dont have any money so dont tell me to go buy new equipment because I cant do that. lol

I just want to know if it is possible to make something halfway decent with this equipment.

Thanks alot

If you are familiar with your gear and recording to it, then what you got is what you got and will have to make the best of it.
It may not be the best quality and if they will accept a cassette, then I guess it would be ok for a demo.
All you can do is give it a shot.;)

I agree with Stealthtech.........

You have to work with what you have, sooooo make the best of it. :cool:

WYSIWUG. :D

Peace....

spin

Ok thanks for the replies!!!
I've got another question though...

As you see I have a crappy Tascam 4-track analog tape recorder..... When i try and record my guitar direct it sounds like crap!!! I've got the mixer but I can never seem to find the right settings to make it sound better.... could the crappy sound be caused by the tape deck never being cleaned,....or is it because i suck at mixing??

I'm a total newbie, i used to record my raps and beats on my computer with a crappy soundcard, wave mixer, and a demo version of a recording software,... i still have the computer but it makes a weird humming noise so i dont think that would be suitable to record with,....or would a cheap soundcard with cheap software be better to record with then transfer to cassette?

Direct recorded guitar signals (that is, straight from guitar into a DI box or mixer, then to "tape") sounds pretty awful, though there are some people that like it, and sometimes it works in a mix.

There are ways to get a direct signal to sound good but this usually involves passing the signal into soething that helps make it sound more like it came out of a speaker into the air. There are guitar processors with speaker simulators, and things called "modeling processors" which attempt (to varying degress of success) to "model" the sound of guitars played through real amps and speakers and mics using software and digital signal processing. Effects help too. Even adding a little reverb and/or delay can help make a bone-direct guitar signal sound palatable.

Without buying another box, though, you will get a far better sound to tape if you use that SM-57 in front of your guitar amp.

thnx

Thanks for the reply guys,.... nothing has changed over here a homerecording.com boards... you guys are all nice and cool

thanks again

by the way(sorry for the double post) i've never tried recording clean guitar from my amp so im going to try that out tonight and see how it sounds

Back