Is this possible?

I have Jimmie Vaughn Tex Mex strat that I want to upgrade the pickguard and pickups for better tones. I'm currently considering the http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-Area-Model-Prewired-Electric-Guitar-Pickguard-300314-i1393902.gc.

Will it be possible to switch even though there are different number amount of screw holes on the two pickguards?

Thanks in advance for all replies.
Yes Loaded pickguards are an easy mod that pretty much anyone can do if they can operate a screw driver.
it should pretty much be a retro fit. You may have to do a little filing around the neck cut out on the pick guard for a good fit but other than that it should be a simple mod.

Yes Loaded pickguards are an easy mod that pretty much anyone can do if they can operate a screw driver.
it should pretty much be a retro fit. You may have to do a little filing around the neck cut out on the pick guard for a good fit but other than that it should be a simple mod.

Hey Roquetitan, thanks for the reply.

What about the extra screw holes on the new pickguard? Do I need to drill new holes on my guitar too, or can I just simply leave them alone?

Hey Roquetitan, thanks for the reply.

What about the extra screw holes on the new pickguard? Do I need to drill new holes on my guitar too, or can I just simply leave them alone?

whichever you want to do but the pick guard will look funny missing a screw:)
drilling an extra hole will not hurt the body so if it were me I would go ahead and put the screw in.

whichever you want to do but the pick guard will look funny missing a screw:)
drilling an extra hole will not hurt the body so if it were me I would go ahead and put the screw in.

If there is a different number of pickguard screws than the original, the spacing may be different; it may be that several of the screw holes in the pickguard do not match those in the guitar.

If there is a different number of pickguard screws than the original, the spacing may be different; it may be that several of the screw holes in the pickguard do not match those in the guitar.

Ya, so... drill new holes. The old ones will be unseen under the pick guard. it is a loaded pick guard upgrade not building a rocket:D

If you are really worried about the holes, just take all the guts off the new pickguard and install them in the old pickguard.

Physically putting the pickups and controls on the pickguard is not hard, it's the wiring that gets confusing. 8 screws and 4 nuts on each pickguard will have everything off in your hand.

If you are really worried about the holes, just take all the guts off the new pickguard and install them in the old pickguard.

Physically putting the pickups and controls on the pickguard is not hard, it's the wiring that gets confusing. 8 screws and 4 nuts on each pickguard will have everything off in your hand.

YEP, that is definitely an option.
And since the wiring is already done it is not really that big odf a deal at all:)

The pickguard on my strat is too thin, only one piece. It and looks feels fragile. I want something thicker.

Does the pickguard make any sound differences in the guitar?

The pickguard on my strat is too thin, only one piece. It and looks feels fragile. I want something thicker.

You'll find some difference of opinion on that one. Put me down as a "no".

It shouldn't make any difference. If you want the new pickguard, you will have to drill new holes. The new pickguard will cover the old ones (assuming it's the same size/shape) and the old pickguard will cover the new ones if you decide to put it back to stock.

Thanks guys, for the help. I really appreciate that.

What are your opinions on the pickups to go with this guitar?

Are there better ones out there I should also consider checking out before proceeding with my purchase?

I get these loaded pick guards from Grizzly these are really fantastic sounding pickups, very well constructed.

This Image shows 2 singles and a humbucker at the bridge but it is a black 3 ply(Black, White, Black) pickguard with three singles w/ angled neck pup

if you can solder or want to learn which is not hard to do and possibly intrested in building your own pickguard...

I mostly buy from guitarfetish.com which in my opinion are argumentatively some of the best sounding pickups made bar none at a fraction of what you will spend buying a more well known brand's like Dimarzio, Lindy Fralin, Seymour Duncan, EMG ect
they also have potentiometers and mod boards if you may be considering live EQ which are relatively simple to install which requires no additional routing.

the LIL killers are excellent double coil pickups that sound really Killer in a strat

or you might want to take a look at their selection of loaded pickguards

I get these loaded pick guards from Grizzly these are really fantastic sounding pickups, very well constructed.

This Image shows 2 singles and a humbucker at the bridge but it is a black 3 ply(Black, White, Black) pickguard with three singles w/ angled neck pup

if you can solder or want to learn which is not hard to do and possibly intrested in building your own pickguard...

I mostly buy from guitarfetish.com which in my opinion are argumentatively some of the best sounding pickups made bar none at a fraction of what you will spend buying a more well known brand's like Dimarzio, Lindy Fralin, Seymour Duncan, EMG ect
they also have potentiometers and mod boards if you may be considering live EQ which are relatively simple to install which requires no additional routing.

the LIL killers are excellent double coil pickups that sound really Killer in a strat

or you might want to take a look at their selection of loaded pickguards

Wow, nice prices at guitarfetish.com. Are the quality of the pickups and pickguard better than the one I mentioned: http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-Area-Model-Prewired-Electric-Guitar-Pickguard-300314-i1393902.gc?

I am comparing to this one: http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsusacushne.html

If you were me, which would you choose? For what genre of music? Why?

Some of the pickguards look pretty nice.

Ok, I think I need to do more research and ask more questions.:D

Thanks

You don't seem to say what you dislike about your current pickups. It's pretty hard to recommend a pickup when I don't know what you want.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

You don't seem to say what you dislike about your current pickups. It's pretty hard to recommend a pickup when I don't know what you want.

M.K. Gandhi

Your right. I forgot to mentioned that. Thanks for bringing that up.

About my current pickups, which are the Tex-Mex pickups, I'm just not really satisfied with the distortion tones. Are you familiar with the Tex Mex pickups?It sounds a bit too thin for my taste. It doesn't have enough grit for hard rock. The cleans, however, are okay but I'm still not completely satisfied with it as well. I think changing pickups would make the guitar a much better one.

What's your opinion on this?

Wow, nice prices at guitarfetish.com. Are the quality of the pickups and pickguard better than the one I mentioned: http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-Area-Model-Prewired-Electric-Guitar-Pickguard-300314-i1393902.gc?

I am comparing to this one: http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsusacushne.html

If you were me, which would you choose? For what genre of music? Why?

Some of the pickguards look pretty nice.

Ok, I think I need to do more research and ask more questions.:D

Thanks
I cant say GFS is better because Dimarzio's are without a doubt some of the best made pickups you can buy however just like most name brands they have become more and more expensive just because of the name.
the materials and workmanship are no better in one in compairison to another
that is why I use Guitar fetish pickups.
I am not you but if it was me I would use the GF loaded pick guard for the simple reason they are a high quality replacement at a more affordable price in comparison to the other better known brands of pickups.
I really see no restrictions of the style of music that can be played with these pickups.
ultimately the choice is yours to make and I normally don't make recommendations unless asked. The pickups I recommend are no better than the name brand pickups but in most cases are equal in material quality and workmanship otherwise I obviously would not recommend them.
if you do decide to go with the GF pickguard you will be very happy with them

I am not you but if it was me I would use the GF loaded pick guard for the simple reason they are a high quality replacement at a more affordable price in comparison to the other better known brands of pickups.

Which GF loaded pick guard are you refering to recommending? Are those the pickguards that already have pickups pre-installed in them?

Your right. I forgot to mentioned that. Thanks for bringing that up.

About my current pickups, which are the Tex-Mex pickups, I'm just not really satisfied with the distortion tones. Are you familiar with the Tex Mex pickups?It sounds a bit too thin for my taste. It doesn't have enough grit for hard rock. The cleans, however, are okay but I'm still not completely satisfied with it as well. I think changing pickups would make the guitar a much better one.

What's your opinion on this?

Are you certain that what you are calling "thin" is not just the difference between single and dual coil pickups?

Back